Fillings or Extraction?

I am nearly 50 years old and still have 3 of my wisdom teeth.

My dentist has recommended that I have them removed because I am not able to clean back there properly and have developed a number of cavities. He has referred me to an oral surgeon to perform the extraction.

Meanwhile, my dentist wants to fill these cavities (not on the wisdom teeth). It is pretty bad and it will require 3 separate sessions. He wants to do this before the oral surgery.

My question, does this make sense? Some of the worst cavities look to be between the wisdom teeth and the last molar. Logic seems to say that it would be easier after the extraction. When I questioned him he said that it would not be difficult to get at before the extraction and that he wanted to do 1st because he was worried about the recovery time delay after the extraction.

A number of people (non-dentists) have questioned his logic when I mention it. I have a great relationship with my dentist, but my spider-sense is tingling that this is more about getting the $$ than about what is best for me.

Thank you for your time.

Ask a Question