Do I need 11 cavity fillings and 2 extractions? (Part two 9 images)

Hi all,

I recently visited a new dentist and I had a bad feeling about the entire experience. I was told that I have 11 Cavities and need both of my lower wisdom teeth extracted.
I agree with wisdom teeth (perhaps only the left one mainly) but 11 cavities seems a lot especially when I have no pain whatsoever. I also felt as if I was being treated like a customer than a patient. being sold braces and all (when my teeth are perfectly aligned)
I am attaching the x-ray here, hopefully someone can shed some light, so that I know if I should go back and drop 4000 $ on this or should I just go to another dentist?

thanks,
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 280
Solutions
Did the dentist point out the areas of decay? You should get a second opinion from another practice. But I've been in a similar situation before (although it wasn't 11 fillings!) and it made me paranoid about the teeth in question for years. Even though other dentists tell you that you don't need work done you worry if a dental professional tells you something like this.

I'm not sure about the wisdom teeth. Some dentists like to extract them as a matter of course. If you leave them they are harder to extract when you are old because there is a nerve that can be damaged. I have all four wisdom teeth and I refused to have them extracted. I've also been told in the past that I need a root canal and then went elsewhere for an opinion, had a filling instead (that was 10 years ago). 16 years ago a dentist told me a root canal on a front tooth was failing. I went elsewhere was told it's fine but it made me really anxious about the tooth. The same dentist told me I'd need a back tooth filling replacing but then I was told by others there's nothing wrong with it.
So now I always get a second opinion on any major work recommendation where I don't have any symptoms. I had such a situation recently and it made me lose confidence in the dentist. I've been told that the motive is financial which is shocking. Any dental work is a risk so you should only have it done if absolutely necessary.

Vote:
I have attached all the x-rays so that I can get a professional opinion!
I highly appreciate your reply busybee.
I wonder if I should move this to another section to get a dentist provide opinion!

Vote:
Solutions
You might have to wait quite a while to get a dentist's opinion on here quasarmarch. You'd be better off actually seeing a dentist in real life. The internet is great, but it's no substitute for face to face consultations.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Nuh, can't see the cavities he's talking about, apart from the 38 (LL8, wisdom tooth). There is a small amount of early decay on distal surface of 27 (UL7), but too shallow to treat. If you keep diet and hygiene up to standard, then it won't progress. You only need to extract that wisdom tooth, and for that, I'd go somewhere else rather than give this fellow any $.

Vote:
Nuh, can't see the cavities he's talking about, apart from the 38 (LL8, wisdom tooth). There is a small amount of early decay on distal surface of 27 (UL7), but too shallow to treat. If you keep diet and hygiene up to standard, then it won't progress. You only need to extract that wisdom tooth, and for that, I'd go somewhere else rather than give this fellow any $.

Thank you Matt! It did catch me by surprise as I had to move and change dentists. My previous dentist (that I saw about a 14 months ago) Never mentioned any cavities and all of a sudden I have 11 Cavities! I believe in customer centricity and consumer voice. I will take your advice as the first step and verify this in person with other dentists. If it turns out that there was no need for fillings (unfortunately before this post I already did filling on 4 after these x-rays) this wont be the last time this practice will hear from me.

once again, thank you very much for your help Matt!

Vote:

Ask a Question