Hard, white gum after implant

I got my fifth dental implant done yesterday, and noticed something different this time: the gum surrounding the implant is hard and white. Not the entire gum, just the part immediately around the implant.

Is this typical? Cause for concern?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It might be due to the implant crown exerting pressure on the gum tissue. This should resolve within a few hours. If it doesn't, you will have to go back to your dentist in order to relieve the crown. The white colour is due to the lack of blood supply to the immediate area.

Vote:
Day 6 and the white color is question is no longer there, but I'm noticing this hard thing on my gum that's not going away. I've never experienced this before. Any ideas?
1000005543.jpg

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
This looks fine. The area around the implant is still healing. The gum tissue forms scar tissue first, which is yellow-whiteish in colour. It will gradually transition into a normal pink colour.

Vote:

Ask a Question