Root canal + temp filling

Hello. I have a root canal in a molar that was completed 3 months ago and had a large temp filling put in. The intention was to have the crown installed once I return from overseas by my dentist. That won't now be possible for 6 more weeks and the temp filling has fallen out a few days ago. I have been using a DentaFix filling repair compound but it is obviously not lasting long. Can this wait for 6 more weeks or do I risk a serious problem if I do? What are my options?
TIA

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would not risk leaving the root canal ''open'', since leakage into the canals can occur, leading to secondary infection. Perhaps try and see a dentist where you are based, for a more semi-permanent filling.

Vote:
Losing a temporary filling 3 months after your root canal is concerning. Waiting 6 more weeks carries risks like infection, fracture, and sensitivity. To avoid these, prioritize seeing an experienced dentist ASAP for a stronger temporary solution or even dental cement, until your original crown can be placed. Over-the-counter fills may offer temporary relief, but prioritize professional care. Don't hesitate to seek help now, early intervention can prevent big problems later.

Vote:

Ask a Question