Root Canal?

Hi everyone

I would just like a second opinion if possible. I had a check up today and was told fixing this decay could lead to a root canal with it being close to the pulp. I am booked in for the filling and once she has opened it up, she will let me know if a root canal is needed. Do you agree that this is a possibility with where the decay is?
I had an xray in Jan (left) where the shadow can be seen but it was never mentioned.
20231212_092301.jpg

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There is a high likelihood that this might end up in a root canal. The only way to know for sure is to remove all active decay. Judging by the earlier x-ray, the situation seems more or less like it would have been the same.
Keep in mind, that even if the x-ray does not involve the nerve, any filling extremely close to the nerve, might irritate the nerve and then eventually lead to a root canal, even if it is a few years down the line.

Vote:
There is a high likelihood that this might end up in a root canal. The only way to know for sure is to remove all active decay. Judging by the earlier x-ray, the situation seems more or less like it would have been the same.
Keep in mind, that even if the x-ray does not involve the nerve, any filling extremely close to the nerve, might irritate the nerve and then eventually lead to a root canal, even if it is a few years down the line.

Thank you for your reply. Fingers crossed the filling will be okay. I am not in any pain so do you think it isn't too close to the nerve? I have read all sorts of negative things about Root Canal like it leading to disease else where in the body and it has scared me some what! Please do you have any reassurance on this?

Last edited:

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you don't have any symptoms, it is a good sign. A root canal might be avoided altogether, but again, the only way to know for sure is by cleaning out all the decay.

Root canal therapy is a time tested, well documented procedure in scientific peer-reviewed journals. A lot of recent social media posts, including some Netflix series, have put root canal therapies in a bad light. Most, if not all, of this misinformation is not based on any scientific consensus. There is a reason why this therapy is still taught as a standard of treatment in dental schools all over the world.

Vote:
If you don't have any symptoms, it is a good sign. A root canal might be avoided altogether, but again, the only way to know for sure is by cleaning out all the decay.

Root canal therapy is a time tested, well documented procedure in scientific peer-reviewed journals. A lot of recent social media posts, including some Netflix series, have put root canal therapies in a bad light. Most, if not all, of this misinformation is not based on any scientific consensus. There is a reason why this therapy is still taught as a standard of treatment in dental schools all over the world.
Thank you so much for all your help. The current filling has lasted me 25 years so I cannot complain really.
Have a lovely day ahead!

Vote:

Ask a Question