Still feeling pain after root canal treatment

Last year in December I had issues with my molar. A part of the molar broke off, it was cracked below the gumline and it was also infected. My dentist told me that I could do a root canal treatment or go for extraction. I decided to choose the root canal treatment in January to see if it could be saved. My dentist also did a filling fix for the part of the teeth that broke off.

The molar looks good from the outside but it’s a bit loose compared to my other tooth. The loose part is not an issue for me but the fact it’s 10 months later and I sometimes still feel pain. It’s not severe but I still feel pain like sharp stabs inside, sometimes a tiny bit of pounding and as if it’s inflamed (not that it’s really inflamed but it’s similar to when you cut your finger and it’s healing and when you put water on it it’s still a bit sensitive).

I went to the dentist in September because the pain was more severe than usual and it seemed liked it caused a mild panic attack which freaked me out which is why I made an appointment. I had two mild panic attacks (or at least symptoms you get after having a panic attack) after that but I’m not sure if they were related to the pain or if I was going to negative thoughts and stress or it was a mix of everything. I have a feeling that it was because of the pain but I can’t be sure. After I visited the dentist the pain disappeared for like a few weeks but now I’m dealing with pain again. When I went to my dentist in September and my dental hygienist in October they both said that I should wait first to see how it will go and that it’s normal to feel the pain because I had a root canal treatment.

Sometimes I feel down and as if my body isn’t responding well to the pain like it’s tired of it. I don’t know what to do and it’s making me feel sad. Can a molar that is broken off below a gumline be saved?

Hi, I went to dentist Chris yesterday who performed the root canal treatment with dentist Emma (my “original” dentist) in January. Emma needed help so Chris helped her and he is also the practice owner. Chris didn’t make a new photo but looked at the old one that was made in September by dentist Andrew because at that time dentist Emma was on maternity leave. I wanted to make an appointment as soon as possible and Chris was available and did part of the root canal treatment which is why I went to him. Chris gave me antibiotics and said that I should wait first to see how it will go. I should take the antibiotics for 7 days. If I still have pain after 6 months - 1 year from now, he might take other steps. I still feel weird physically… I’m not sure if it’s because of the teeth or because I’m just sick in general or a mix of both so I took a few days off from work to rest.

(The names I used aren’t real names but fake ones so it’s less confusing to explain my situation).

Vote:

Ask a Question