How do I know if my body is antibiotic resistant??

mmh

I seen a dentist in Aug 2023 and they told me my wisdom teeth and the ones surrounding them needed to be removed but told me a surgeon would have to do it. (My fault, I waited so long because I'm terrified of the dentist) but because of my insurance, there's one oral surgery place that will accept me and its 5 hrs away and a veryyyy long waiting list.
The last few weeks I have had infection after infection. The first time I was given clydamycin and it helped the infection on the left side but on day 3 of that antibiotic I had an infection start on my right side so they switched me to amox. I finished the 10 day dose and was fine for a week, a week later I start experiencing pain again so I go to the doctor(dentist appt is scheduled but not for another week) they give me amox again but so far I'm on day 5 and I haven't gotten any kind of relief and starting to wonder if it's spread to my jaw? My jaw bone is so tender and hurts bad. I have plenty of clindamycin left over from the first time, can I try that until my dentist appt if the amox isn't working??

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You usually do extensive testing in order to determine antibiotic resistance. I don't think you need to worry about that. The problem is that antibiotics is never a solution to any problem and a lot of times your wisdom teeth can cause pain without having an associated bacterial infection. It is more inflammation leading to the pain and therefore it might be better to consider using anti-inflammatory meds ( keep in mind the gastric effects).

I would suggest seeking another oral surgeon or even a dentist with experience in oral surgery to see if they can remove the wisdom tooth/teeth sooner. This is the only real solution.

Vote:

Ask a Question