Fillings - Color off after fillings?

Hello, I just came across this forum, as I'm a little mystified by a recent phenomenon after I had a number of fillings in my upper teeth. I recently had many fillings and deep cleaning in my top teeth - one half was done on one visit, and the second half (quadrant) was done on a second visit with a different dentist. In the picture below, you will see that the two sides are no longer identical in color - the right side (from our perspective) being much whiter. The difference is even more notable in person.

Is the "whiter" side the result of dentist error somehow? The dentist who did that side also left a lot of filling material in between my teeth and I had to go back to have it removed. I am also concerned because the DDS who did the fillings on the left (from our perspective) took around 2 hours for the procedure, whereas the DDS on the right took about 45 minutes, and there remains alot of sensitivity to cold and difficulty flossing on that side.

I suppose my question is why are my teeth now stark white on that side, when they were identical before, and the teeth on the left are still the natural color? I posed this question to the DDS and he didn't really have a clear explanation.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
IMG_20140613_185614.jpg

I'm not sure which teeth and which surfaces had composite fillings done on them, but if each dentist used a different shade, this would account for the different colors. There are at least 20 different shades in composite kits.

Vote:

Ask a Question