Dull toothache when biting down after one week of filling replacement

Solutions
Hi,
I had my filling replaced on last Monday. I feel sensitive and tingly feel on that tooth whenever I chew the food. After eating, it gives a dull ache on that tooth side and it goes off after a while. And when I keep closing my mouth in resting, it gives that dullache when upper and lower teeth touch. Is this normal after filling or should I go back to the dentist?
Any input is really appreciated.

Solutions
Amalgam has been banned in a number of countries because of health concerns. Dentists are now losing the skills to place it. Although it's not blanket banned in the UK many private surgeries no longer use it and it is being phased out in general. It's a pity because it's a great material. I'm sure this is all being driven by big business manufacturers of alternative materials under the banner of being healthier. I've never heard of anyone dying from amalgam fillings. They last forever.

Vote:
Solutions
Amalgam has been banned in a number of countries because of health concerns. Dentists are now losing the skills to place it. Although it's not blanket banned in the UK many private surgeries no longer use it and it is being phased out in general. It's a pity because it's a great material. I'm sure this is all being driven by big business manufacturers of alternative materials under the banner of being healthier. I've never heard of anyone dying from amalgam fillings. They last forever.
I am in the US and here most of the dentist doesn't do amalgam fillings.

Vote:
Solutions
I am in the US and here most of the dentist doesn't do amalgam fillings.
That's not surprising. Apparently there are also environmental concerns about mercury getting into tap water from use in dental surgeries. But it really was a very good material and I am sure there are ways to avoid environmental contamination. It's also very cheap and teeth fixed with it don't have all the problems associated with composites.

Vote:
Solutions
That's not surprising. Apparently there are also environmental concerns about mercury getting into tap water from use in dental surgeries. But it really was a very good material and I am sure there are ways to avoid environmental contamination. It's also very cheap and teeth fixed with it don't have all the problems associated with composites.
That's true. But most of the dentists here are doing only the composite. I am still struggling to find another dentist who do amalgam.
The composite really gives many issues to the tooth which doesn't give any issue before the dental work. Many people face this.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Amalgam is being phased out as part of environmental worldwide mercury compound reduction, not from any direct health reasons or from "mercury" getting into the tap water.The massive bulk of mercury compounds products are produced during industrial processes, but dentistry has been caught up in this trend. It will be to our dental health detriment. So many posts in the fora appear to relate to post-op pain after composites, and patients have to return for "bite adjustments" which I think are often simply buying time in the hope they will settle. I don't get post-op sensitivity because I do amalgams where best suited, and composites where best suited. And amalgams are almost idiot-proof, apart from the higher technical skills that are required.

Vote:
Solutions
That's true. But most of the dentists here are doing only the composite. I am still struggling to find another dentist who do amalgam.
The composite really gives many issues to the tooth which doesn't give any issue before the dental work. Many people face this.
It may be worth having the filling redone as composite by someone who is really careful and takes their time in doing it properly.

Dentists here may have their own approaches but I think a composite filling on a molar needs about two hours per tooth. Amalgam fillings can be done very quickly but this is a different material and failure to take time and care leads to problems. You need to find a caring dentist who will have the patience to replace this with the time and attention needed and is willing to try conservative approaches to solving the issue. Look for minimally invasive/conservative dentists in your area.

Vote:
Solutions
Just to clarify the ban on dental amalgam is a result of the Minimata Convention/treaty 2013 which is banning mercury compounds 100% due to the effect on human health and the environment. It's a global treaty which was ratified by the EU in 2017. The UK has agreed to phase out amalgam use over a certain time period and has banned it for children and breastfeeding mothers. The BDA is lobbying to allow continued use for some dentistry. The US is signed up to the convention. It was triggered by a long-term, large scale poisoning incident in Japan which had nothing to do with dental amalgam. It's definitely overkill in terms of dental amalgam. It has not been ratified and signed by all countries yet. So some countries have a totally different regulatory framework for the use of dental amalgam.

Vote:
Solutions
Amalgam is being phased out as part of environmental worldwide mercury compound reduction, not from any direct health reasons or from "mercury" getting into the tap water.The massive bulk of mercury compounds products are produced during industrial processes, but dentistry has been caught up in this trend. It will be to our dental health detriment. So many posts in the fora appear to relate to post-op pain after composites, and patients have to return for "bite adjustments" which I think are often simply buying time in the hope they will settle. I don't get post-op sensitivity because I do amalgams where best suited, and composites where best suited. And amalgams are almost idiot-proof, apart from the higher technical skills that are required.
Well said doctor. But most of the doctors are doing only composite resin. Also, they are not experienced as you. Even my dentist is so young and have only a few years experience. He is just said that have to do it in a trial and error method.
It's really difficult to get a conservative and well experienced dentist. My bad luck.

Vote:
Solutions
It may be worth having the filling redone as composite by someone who is really careful and takes their time in doing it properly.

Dentists here may have their own approaches but I think a composite filling on a molar needs about two hours per tooth. Amalgam fillings can be done very quickly but this is a different material and failure to take time and care leads to problems. You need to find a caring dentist who will have the patience to replace this with the time and attention needed and is willing to try conservative approaches to solving the issue. Look for minimally invasive/conservative dentists in your area.
Thank you so much @Busybee .
It's really difficult to get a conservative and well experienced dentist. I am still searching one.
My dentist didn't take 2 hours to do one filling. He finished my 4 tooth fillings (3 upper and 1 lower) in one hour. And the refilling on this tooth(lower one) takes only 10 minutes. He didn't take much time to do that.
I am still researching in the internet for a good dentist. Can't trust the Google reviews though. Most are fake.

Last edited:

Vote:
Solutions
Just to clarify the ban on dental amalgam is a result of the Minimata Convention/treaty 2013 which is banning mercury compounds 100% due to the effect on human health and the environment. It's a global treaty which was ratified by the EU in 2017. The UK has agreed to phase out amalgam use over a certain time period and has banned it for children and breastfeeding mothers. The BDA is lobbying to allow continued use for some dentistry. The US is signed up to the convention. It was triggered by a long-term, large scale poisoning incident in Japan which had nothing to do with dental amalgam. It's definitely overkill in terms of dental amalgam. It has not been ratified and signed by all countries yet. So some countries have a totally different regulatory framework for the use of dental amalgam.
Are you a dentist? How come you know so many information??
Great.

Vote:

Ask a Question