Dull ache around where wisdom tooth was removed

Hi, I had my lower wisdom tooth extracted about a year 1/2 ago. It was a very simple extraction. I did have an infection around the tooth though. The last week or so, I've been getting a dull ache occasionally around the same area. It seems to be getting worse. I was able to get Penicillin and have taken it the last 6 days. Doesn't seem to be clearing anything up. It doesn't feel like it has anything to do with any of my other back teeth. I don't have any sensitivity to cold/heat or sweets. I'll admit, I really, really don't like going to dentists! I had an amazing one the last 5 or so years but he has now retired. Any ideas?

drmins

Verified Dentist
The pain you complain of, needs better examination to conclude. There are chances of it being a radiating pain,due to another or adjacent carious tooth.

Do not take antibiotics without proper diagnosis.

Vote:
I appreciate the reply. I realize it isn't wise taking the antibiotics, but I just hate going to the dentist that much. The two adjacent teeth have both had fillings done within the last 4 years. I don't have any other symptoms; senitivy, etc.

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
Pls get a radiograph taken,for those two filled teeth.Chances are that,there may be a secondary caries developed beneath any of those fillings. Also,check for any caries in the upper tooth on the same side.

Less likely to be due to any bone fragment resulted from previous extraction,as it was almost 4 year ago.
Get a radiographic image.

Vote:
Ok thank you. Will look into having it looked at.

The extraction was about a year and half ago... the two adjacent fillings were 4 years ago.

Vote:

Ask a Question