Toothache nearly a week after filling

Hello,

So, my tooth cracked off and left a whole in the back of my tooth and I couldn’t get into the dentist until the 5th December. I was worried about an infection coming up so I had an emergency appointment to get a temporary filling with another dentist in my area. (7th November)

The dentist said that I had bad decay and he cleaned it all out before doing the temporary filling.

I had no pain before this temporary filling. However, now I do suffer from a little bit of a pain. It’s not unbearable, and I struggle to drink a cold drink but I can drink hot drinks.

The odd thing is, the pain sometimes is in a different tooth, I’ve read online that this is called referred pain but I don’t know too much about this. The pain is somewhat of a dull ache, with the occasional sensitivity. I’ve changed over to sensydone toothpaste which I’m hoping will help. The pain usually occurs when I first wake up and after I’ve eaten.

Is it something that I should be worried about or should I wait until the 5th December?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately you don't have a lot of choice. It could be the damaged tooth (most likely), or it could be another tooth. Either way, a toothache is a sign of moderate to severe decay, so prepare your thoughts for either extraction or RCT as most likely choices.

Vote:
Unfortunately you don't have a lot of choice. It could be the damaged tooth (most likely), or it could be another tooth. Either way, a toothache is a sign of moderate to severe decay, so prepare your thoughts for either extraction or RCT as most likely choices.

The pain comes and goes and usually if I’m not thinking about it, it’s hardly there. Should I wait until the 5th December or try and get seen sooner?

Vote:

I’m terrified about getting an extraction because it will be extremely noticeable as it’s next to the front teeth. Is there stuff that they can do once the tooth has been extracted? And if so, how long will I have to wait after having the tooth extracted to have another one placed?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hard to say. At least you have a temporary filling there now, which should keep the risk of pain down. Ah, I see you posted earlier.
In your case, if the tooth is a loss, they may offer to take out the nerve as an emergency measure (not a full RCT) to relieve you of pain while you get an " immediate" single tooth denture made up. Before you get too far into dentures, you really need to have the rest of your teeth properly checked out to make sure that there aren't other baddies in there.

Vote:
Hard to say. At least you have a temporary filling there now, which should keep the risk of pain down. Ah, I see you posted earlier.
In your case, if the tooth is a loss, they may offer to take out the nerve as an emergency measure (not a full RCT) to relieve you of pain while you get an " immediate" single tooth denture made up. Before you get too far into dentures, you really need to have the rest of your teeth properly checked out to make sure that there aren't other baddies in there.

I can’t get into the dentist until the 5th December, I’ve tried so hard to get an appointment but they won’t give me one. I guess it’s just another few weeks of me being terrified and waiting it out.

Vote:

Update: I ended up getting a dentist appointment and he’s told me that the tooth is dead and that I’m going to have a RCT done which is in three days and then a crown which I’m happy with. However, it seems my dental issues just don’t stop. My filling has suddenly turned a brownish colour out of no where - literally in the space of a few hours. I’m ready for just to be extracted at this point.

Do you know what could have caused my filling to go this colour? I used toothpaste prescribed by the doctor, brush my teeth twice a day and try to stay away from sugar. It’s literslly come on out of no where.

I’ve heard that iron tablets can cause this, and I did start taking three types of iron tablets yesterday but I doubt that’s caused this?

Also heard it could be to do with the type of filling used or a leakage but I don’t know what type of filling was used.

Attachments

• 74E5D317-A672-4D78-AF8D-0248F5EA1336.png
    74E5D317-A672-4D78-AF8D-0248F5EA1336.png
    557.1 KB · Views: 262

Vote:

Ask a Question