Dull toothache when biting down after one week of filling replacement

Solutions
Hi,
I had my filling replaced on last Monday. I feel sensitive and tingly feel on that tooth whenever I chew the food. After eating, it gives a dull ache on that tooth side and it goes off after a while. And when I keep closing my mouth in resting, it gives that dullache when upper and lower teeth touch. Is this normal after filling or should I go back to the dentist?
Any input is really appreciated.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If not settling within 2 weeks, go back to dentist. Or if it worsens. White (composite) fillings are much more likely to give post-op pain than amalgams.

Vote:
Solutions
If not settling within 2 weeks, go back to dentist. Or if it worsens. White (composite) fillings are much more likely to give post-op pain than amalgams.
Thank you @MattKW for your reply. Appreciate it.
Thanks for the information about the white fillings. I will go back and check my bite for this dull ache.

Vote:
Solutions
These things take time to settle. Usually 3 months.
Just a quick question.
If I chew soft food on that side of the mouth or on that tooth, I don't feel anything. If I chew something little solid like vegetables, apple, nuts I feel the sensitive and tingly pinch feel on that tooth. Is that normal?

Vote:
Solutions
Just a quick question.
If I chew soft food on that side of the mouth or on that tooth, I don't feel anything. If I chew something little solid like vegetables, apple, nuts I feel the sensitive and tingly pinch feel on that tooth. Is that normal?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sensitivity implies polymerisation shrinkage and microleakage along the bonding interface. Two weeks maximum for it to settle, that's all I allow. It would be several years since I had a case that lasted 2 weeks, and then I replaced it. Simple good public relations.

Vote:
Solutions
Sensitivity implies polymerisation shrinkage and microleakage along the bonding interface. Two weeks maximum for it to settle, that's all I allow. It would be several years since I had a case that lasted 2 weeks, and then I replaced it. Simple good public relations.
Awesome. Thank you so much for your reply.
I will go back and check with my dentist. He told me to wait for 3 to 4 weeks and come back. I can't trust him anymore. Thanks for your inputs.

Vote:
Solutions
Hello doctor @MattKW and @honestdoc,
I just talk to my dental office today and told them that I still have sensitivity to the hard foods like apples, veggies etc. They discussed with my dentist and called me back. They said that, I might need a full crown coverage on that tooth. They just guessing that it will resolve the issue. They doubt that my tooth has been cracked underneath and they did fillings 2 times on that(replaced fillings last week). So, they say I need a full crown. I am totally shocked and worried now. Because, that was a perfect tooth which had no issues before the filling. That too, I had a very very shallow filling means that very very small cavity. So, I don't know if I should go for crown as per his guess.
I asked for a couple of days time and have to call them back.
Do you think the crown will help this? Actually, I don't have any idea about crowns. Either me or my family doesn't have any before. So, no idea on that. Is it a good idea to go for crown now? Or my dentist is pushing me to some options?
I can't trust him much as I don't have satisfaction in his work. He always guess and do the things and I have already taken 2 chances of fillings on that tooth.
Any inputs or your opinion please?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I just talk to my dental office today and told them that I still have sensitivity to the hard foods like apples, veggies etc. They discussed with my dentist and called me back. They said that, I might need a full crown coverage on that tooth. ...Any inputs or your opinion please?
I don't put crowns on irritated teeth because it will just irritate them more. They must have firstly settled.
Go somewhere else.

Vote:
I just talk to my dental office today and told them that I still have sensitivity to the hard foods like apples, veggies etc. They discussed with my dentist and called me back. They said that, I might need a full crown coverage on that tooth. They just guessing that it will resolve the issue. They doubt that my tooth has been cracked underneath and they did fillings 2 times on that(replaced fillings last week). So, they say I need a full crown. I am totally shocked and worried now. Because, that was a perfect tooth which had no issues before the filling. That too, I had a very very shallow filling means that very very small cavity. So, I don't know if I should go for crown as per his guess.
I asked for a couple of days time and have to call them back.
Do you think the crown will help this? Actually, I don't have any idea about crowns. Either me or my family doesn't have any before. So, no idea on that. Is it a good idea to go for crown now? Or my dentist is pushing me to some options?
I can't trust him much as I don't have satisfaction in his work. He always guess and do the things and I have already taken 2 chances of fillings on that tooth.
Any inputs or your opinion please?

Vote:
I've had this before it never went away and ended up needing root canal. I have issues going numb so while the dentist was attempting 1st root canal the pain was unbearable and I told her to just pull the tooth. I would say go and see dentist if it's been a week or more. I'm not a pro but I've had enough tooth work done lol

Vote:
Solutions
I've had this before it never went away and ended up needing root canal. I have issues going numb so while the dentist was attempting 1st root canal the pain was unbearable and I told her to just pull the tooth. I would say go and see dentist if it's been a week or more. I'm not a pro but I've had enough tooth work done lol
Thank you for the reply.
My dentist want me to go for a crown for this issue. I already tried redo the filling on that tooth. So he is guessing that I may have a crack underneath and I should try crown for that. He says that he is guessing a crack and hoping crown helps.
I did go back to my dentist yesterday and checked for my bite too. He said bite is fine and I am not biting on the filling. He said to come back for a crown. I have to wait and see a second opinion.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If this was a composite filling, then my first idea would be to redo with an amalgam, perhaps with a smear of a corticosteroid ("Ledermix"). So, my lining would be smear of Ledermix, then Dycal, amalgam. If your dentist is unwilling to do an amalgam, then ring around and go elswhere. Keep in touch. Any Xrays to show us, pls?

Vote:
Solutions
If this was a composite filling, then my first idea would be to redo with an amalgam, perhaps with a smear of a corticosteroid ("Ledermix"). So, my lining would be smear of Ledermix, then Dycal, amalgam. If your dentist is unwilling to do an amalgam, then ring around and go elswhere. Keep in touch. Any Xrays to show us, pls?
Thank you so much for your reply @MattKW. Appreciate it.
Yes, it is a composite filling and replaced with the same filling. My dentist is not interested in amalgam and he want me to do a crown on that tooth. I have enquired with my friends and neighbors. Most of them say that their dentist do only composite fillings. I have to call up few more places and check.
I have attached my x-ray in the another thread. I have a panaromic x-ray and few x-rays taken after the first filling. I don't have any x-ray taken in these 2 weeks(after filling replacement).

Vote:

Ask a Question