Broken veneer after 2 months. What are my rights?

Hi, newbie here. Had a composite veneer fitted two months ago to replace one I had fitted way, way back (early 90s) on an upper front middle tooth.
Was eating a snack tonight (cereal - granola) and noticed it was a little crunchier than usual, then realised my veneer had shattered - into about eight pieces!!!
The tooth in question is badly discoloured from where I was punched in the mouth in my youth, so I'm very conscious of it.
It's a bit of a nightmare, but my question is whether I have any recourse to insist that the UK dentist who fitted the veneer - which was clearly not bonded correctly or had some other issue (we're talking granola here, not a stick of rock or stale french bread!) - fits a new one without charging me for it (£240 last time).
I only had the veneer replaced at her recommendation - I was reasonably happy with the old one. Now I have an unsightly, almost black tooth and am £240 lighter! Any advice would be appreciated!

Solutions
Usually dentists guarantee a veneer from 1-5 years depending on the practice and the type of veneer. Dental restorations used to fall under the sale of goods act, I'm not sure whether that's still the case. If the restoration has broken within a short time then legally it's not fit for purpose under that act. The dentist shouldn't charge you again, but do you really want this dentist to redo the work?

Vote:

Ask a Question