Advice on broken tooth 60yr old

Hi, last night one of my teeth broke, hopefully there are some photos attached. I’m 60 in a remote area and I can’t get to a dentist for 2-3 weeks. Is there any advice on how to look after the broken tooth until that time.
It is the gap between the amalgam and white tooth at the back.

There is no pain (yet!), just mild discomfort, but I have to stop licking it, my tounge is going fuzzy..!

I see the white filled tooth behind is also not that flash.

I have a hobby microscope so also a photo of the bit that fell out, I’m just curious what all the brown stuff is.

As for a solution, can it be repaired, does it need to be pulled out or does it need an implant ? Hopefully photos to follow. Cheers

Last edited:
upload_2018-10-1_9-27-27.png

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Looks like a previously root-filled tooth that was given a final restoration of a big white composite. That is hopeless, and should be extracted ASAP. The teeth either side of the gap are heavily filled, and I would therefore suggest a bridge rather than an implant so that you get the additional benefit of strengthening the adjacent teeth. The redness is simply inflamed gum. Just keep it as reasonably clean as you can, and prepare for an extraction when you visit the dentist - eat a good meal beforehand, have some painkillers ready to go straight after the extraction, plan a quiet day at home.

Vote:
Thanks, good idea about the bridge. Yeah I'm the generation where brushing wasn't well promoted and the motto was drillem and fillem...
Interesting to see how the amalgam is more or less still holding together but the 'new improved' ceramic has cracked and shrunk (?). I've always thought for 60 my teeth were more or less ok, this is quite a wake up call for me.
What is the brown stuff on the the bit that fell out ?

Vote:
Well... actually there is a localish dentist an hour or so away BUT (off the record !) he's not very good, especially at extractions, he doesn't have a very good reputation lol, so I'd rather wait til I can get to see my regular dentist :)
But someone has mentioned having him take any sharp edges off and apply some glassionomer until I get to the city, any thoughts ?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The brown stuff is stain and plaque. At the most, I'd have the edges smoothed off. If you try and cover it with something like GIC, there is a chance you'll set off a problem. Let sleeping dogs lie...

Vote:
Cheers,
the edges are not sharp or annoying me, and my tonuge will be fine if I get over my obsession with licking it. I brush twice daily but would putting a dab of flouride toothpaste or tea-tree or cove oil on it at night be of any benefit ?
It is not sore at all and I'll be careful not to chew on it, just so it lasts 2-3 weeks before getting to town. if it did start to flare up whats something I could do quickly to mitigate.
I'd like to compliment you on your helpfulness, thanks.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No benefit. If it flares up in pain, then simple painkillers. But I think it might already be dead, so this is unlikely.

Vote:

Ask a Question