Not sure whether my broken tooth is down to dentist negligence

For many years, one of my premolars has had a veneer on it. I've had no trouble from it at all. Then recently, It fell off. The dentist fixed this, but after a few months it happened again. My dentist then asked me to consider a crown as this procedure is more appropriate and robust for this type of tooth.

I decided to go for it, which meant having the re-attarched veneer removed so that she could take an impression; she then re-attatched my veneer once again.

Unfortunately, the mold wasn't suitable for the crown to be made, so I had to repeat the previous procedure, which meant having the veneer removed by drilling and hammering, so that I could have another impression taken.

This time my dentist put a temp crown over my tooth. After only a few days, part of the temporary crown came away, exposing part of my tooth. Then today more of my tooth has broken, leaving a tiny stump of tooth, which is so sensitive I can barely eat.

My question is, is this down to my dentists negligence? Also, what can now be done? There Is a huge gap and I'm really self conscious of it, plus the sensitivity is painful. What is the best option?

Many thanks

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
For the most part, dentists make a good faith effort to work on your teeth. Events like yours happen more than we like. Hopefully your dentist will make it right for you.

Depending on the extent of damage, a new temporary crown must be made and placed. Teeth shift everyday and tend to shift from the back forward and from the opposing to the broken tooth. If you wait too long, the final crown may not fit right. Hopefully this helps.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Premolars are difficult teeth to treat because of their small size. Sometimes I don't do crowns for them, but repair as best I can and advise the patient to save up for an implant. If your remaining tooth is too small, you can go as far as to intentionally remove the nerve (RCT), then a post (wrought or cast) and core, and a crown. That's a lot of expense, and treatment, and still at risk of failure. Talk to your dentist or get another opinion - ask for options and relative risks.

Vote:
Solutions
I don't understand why you didn't go back to the dentist as soon as the temporary crown started to fall apart. It's quite important to keep this on to protect the tooth. I also don't understand why a dentist would not be able to see that their impression was not good enough for a crown preparation when the patient is still in the surgery. Normally the dentist checks this just as soon as the mould has set. If there are bubbles or bits missing they redo it in the surgery straight away. Have you made an appointment to get this looked at?

Vote:

Ask a Question