Will extraction of one molar cause premature aging to face?

Hello, I have been told that my 2nd upper molar on the left must be removed, due to damage from an impacted wisdom tooth.
The wisdom tooth will remain.

If a dentist could have a look at the attachment I have provided(xray of molar to be removed) and let me know their opinion; Can the molar be saved? My dentist thinks it is unlikely.

On the net, some dental surgeries are claiming that the extraction of one molar will cause premature ageing to your face in later life.

My dentist in the uk assures me that this will not be the case.
If anyone could comment on this, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Attachments

• Molar 3.pdf
    313.1 KB · Views: 388
From the x-ray I can see that the decay is definitely into the nerve of your tooth. When this happens you must have a root canal or an extraction. It sounds like your dentist doesn't think that he can restore the tooth after the root canal because of how far the decay extends under the tissue. I've had a lot of questions lately about extractions changing the shape of the face. That occurs more often with anterior or front teeth. Having one molar extracted is not going to prematurely age your face.

Vote:
From the x-ray I can see that the decay is definitely into the nerve of your tooth. When this happens you must have a root canal or an extraction. It sounds like your dentist doesn't think that he can restore the tooth after the root canal because of how far the decay extends under the tissue. I've had a lot of questions lately about extractions changing the shape of the face. That occurs more often with anterior or front teeth. Having one molar extracted is not going to prematurely age your face.

Thanks for the kind reply. The molar has now been removed.

The reason why many are asking about changes to the face after an extraction, is because a quick google search will give you detntal implant sites claiming that extraction of ANY tooth(including a molar) will change the face. They provide some scary pictures, which probably will get more than a few people paying money.

If they are providing misleading info, then the appropriate dental body should correct them.

Vote:

Ask a Question