Skin flap growing over 2nd molar after wisdom teeth extraction?

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed yesterday with IV sedation and local anesthesia. After the local wore off I noticed there was a piece of skin covering my bottom left 2nd molar that prevents me from closing my mouth. Today the skin looks/ feels bigger, and it’s even harder to close my mouth. I also keep accidentally biting it in my sleep and randomly throughout the day. My oral surgeon said this is normal swelling and should go down by Sunday, but I haven’t been able to find anything like this online. The side of my face the skin flap is on is also muuuuchh more swollen than the other side.

Is this skin flap normal?

Attachments

• 6323D3B8-27FE-4A4D-B610-46AB6817BF87.jpeg
    6323D3B8-27FE-4A4D-B610-46AB6817BF87.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 516

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Firstly swelling is normal when a surgical extraction of a wisdom tooth was done.
The swelling will definitely go down as your oral surgeon suggested, if the wound area is kept clean and you follow the post op instructions.
With tegards to the swollen piece of flesh.
A lot of changes will occur in your mouth now since a tooth in that area is missing.
There will be changes to the bone and to the soft tissue.
Give it some time for healing to set in first, and observe the changes that occur in that area. Most likely the problem will dissappear on it's own after a week or two, but if not, the oral surgeon can just remove the excessive tissue if it irritates you

Vote:

Ask a Question