Think I ripped my stitches! Large hole next to back molar after wisdom teeth extraction...

I had all four wisdom teeth extracted last Thursday and I was unlucky enough to get dry socket. I was so focused on that I didn’t notice the growing hole on the other side. I sneezed today and felt something rip open, and found this gaping hole in a strange place. You can see there’s a hole, a weird piece of skin in the middle, and you can’t quite see the rest of the hole right at the front. It hurts quite a bit and I’m worried about how it will heal. I’d contact my dentist but they are closed for the next three days... should I be worried?
I’m now experiencing pain underneath my ear.

Attachments

• 2E71288F-22AB-485F-8E05-C23ECF797E89.jpeg
    2E71288F-22AB-485F-8E05-C23ECF797E89.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 15,685

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't think you have a dry socket. As another dentist mentioned in another post, you mouth has a strong tendency to heal. How you know you must get seen is if you have swelling and/or unbearable pain.

Vote:
I don't think you have a dry socket. As another dentist mentioned in another post, you mouth has a strong tendency to heal. How you know you must get seen is if you have swelling and/or unbearable pain.

The dry socket is on the other side and has already been packed, but I really just want to know about the stitches. I’ve woken up today in even more pain and it is oozing yellow pus.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I had all four wisdom teeth extracted last Thursday and I was unlucky enough to get dry socket. I was so focused on that I didn’t notice the growing hole on the other side. I sneezed today and felt something rip open, and found this gaping hole in a strange place. You can see there’s a hole, a weird piece of skin in the middle, and you can’t quite see the rest of the hole right at the front. It hurts quite a bit and I’m worried about how it will heal. I’d contact my dentist but they are closed for the next three days... should I be worried?
I’m now experiencing pain underneath my ear.
Sutures help the healing by bringing the skin edges together; this is called primary intention. It's not always terribly important, because in the mouth there's often a hole left after the extraction, so healing by primary intention is not always possible. Therefore, healing where the edges can't be brought together and healing by secondary intention is quite common. As honestdoc says, thankfully the mouth usually heals quite well.

Vote:
I had my wisdom teeth removed Wednesday so this is the 5th day and my pain seems to have gotten worse today and my pain is radiating from my ear to my chin and my tooth extraction site itself feels like it’s throbbing.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hopefully you can see your dentist soon. It's hard to spot all the details but if appropriate, the dentist can apply some medicament into the socket to relieve your pain. Lower wisdom teeth are more traumatic to remove because your lower jaw has denser bone to contend with.

Vote:

Ask a Question