Still in pain 3 months after filling

I went to get a cavity filled about 3 months ago. It was pretty deep, almost to the nerve. It was extremely sensitive for awhile. For the most part, the sensitivity has gone away but when I bite down on something hard like let's say a pretzel, it really hurts. It even hurts when I floss in between the tooth. I never felt any pain or sensitivity until the cavity was filled. I went back to the dentist who then grinded it down a little bit too fix the bite. It did absolutely nothing. She mentioned it could be awhile before everything feels normal but this doesn't feel right. Do I just need to wait it out or is something else wrong here?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You mentioned the cavity was close to the nerve. That means the nerve is traumatized after the filling. The nerve will either get better or not. How you will know is if the pain is getting worse. That means the nerve is damaged. Another way to know how the tooth is doing is the cold sensitivity. Healthy nerve will feel cold and the sensation will go away. Damaged nerve will make it unbearable and can wake you up at night. A dying nerve will not feel cold and many times will not feel pain. You may feel better and have no pain. However, you may have swelling and that means the dying or dead nerve became infected.

I would monitor the pain and if it gets worse or too intense, go back to the dentist and discuss a possible root canal treatment.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Three months is more than long enough. If you have X-rays available, pls post up here. Some options to consider:
  1. A very deep filling and the nerve is not going to recover. It happens, even if you weren't in pain before the filling. Consider an RCT.
  2. The tooth has been filled with a composite, and the bond is not secure. Leakage can occur, allowing bacteria to infiltrate. Consider having the filling redone, either in composite, or preferably in amalgam (doesn't leak). Talk to the dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question