still experiencing pain after root canal

I had my tooth (left upper side of my mouth) "built up" and another root-canal temporary put on a week or so ago. (The temporary is right beside where I had a tooth extracted back in November). Because I'm still experiencing pain, my dentist has adjusted the temporary several times (and also my teeth below it - I have a bad "bite"). He's done at least two x-rays at different points in the process since this has been an ongoing problem, and hasn't seen any indication of infection. He said the gums looked normal (except the gums in the extraction area looked "irritated"; he didn't know what would cause that). So here I am, I'm still in pain, and at times, the temporary feels like it's on fire and other times it feels "numb". The pain comes and goes. I should mention that the temporary is sensitive to touch also.

I'm not sure what to do; when I told him "what about the pain" he said "with time it will disappear" (I've been suffering with this for awhile now.). Anyone experience anything similar to this and what next steps did you take? I don't want to be on ibuprofen indefinitely...

Last edited:

Ask a Question