Day 5 Post Extraction Still In Pain

Hi, I'm new here. I had my lower molar extracted Wednesday of last week, #30. That was after a month and a half wait from when the agonizing pain started (decay and infection under a filling, touching a nerve and causing bone recession). I was on antibiotics the entire time. The extraction was easy, came out in one piece, and the oral surgeon had me stop the antibiotics.

On Saturday (day 3) I noticed I was still in as much pain as when the novacaine wore off. I called the surgeon and he had me restart antibiotics. Now I'm at day 5 and it's slightly better, but I'm still living on 800 mg ibuprofen round the clock, and an extra painkiller as needed.

I've had a dry socket before and I thought it would hurt more, but maybe I've been in pain so long it just feels the same?

Does this look like dry socket? I've been following all instructions to the letter, I don't smoke, I've not had hot liquids, etc.

If it's not dry socket, is there any reason to still be in pain?

Attachments

• 20180626_142139.jpg
    20180626_142139.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 391

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Dry socket is when the extraction site loses its clot and bone is exposed. From the difficult image, I still see the clot sealing the extraction site. Sorry for your prolong pain, continue with following the Post-op instructions and try to get as much rest as possible. If you notice any swelling including under your jaw, get followup immediately.

Vote:

Ask a Question