Still in pain after Wisdom tooth extracted 11 days ago

I had one of my wisdom teeth removed 11 days ago and I am still in a significant amount of pain. I went back to the dentist on the 4th day and was told I had "dry socket" and the healing is now abnormal and prolonged. They packed my socket with that clove material/fibre. This did relieve some of the pain temporarily but tasted absolutely disgusting and fell out after 2 days. I then went back again on day 6 to have the socket packed again. This again provided temporary relief but has fallen out again.
It's now day 11 and I am still in excruciating pain with a large open hole in my gum. It doesn't seem infected, no pus or fever. And when I was at the dentist a few days ago he told me it wasn't infected. I clean it everyday with warm salty water. I am solely relying on painkillers to get through the day, which is making my job difficult. And often I wake up from the pain in the early hours of the morning when the painkillers have warn off. I still cannot eat properly (limited solid foods) or drink water without triggering more pain. And I feel like the pain is not isolated to the area of the extraction but is actually up the side of my face and into my ear.
I know that dry socket makes the healing slower but should I still be in so much pain?
It's almost unbearable!

How is the pain Ashlee, i had a wisdom pulled a week ago and it is throbbing, i went back to the dentist to have stitches out and he said it was healing good, how is your pain

Dan

Vote:
How is the pain Ashlee, i had a wisdom pulled a week ago and it is throbbing, i went back to the dentist to have stitches out and he said it was healing good, how is your pain

Dan
Hi Dan

I had this tooth removed in October and thankfully I am in no more pain. However because I ended up with Dry Socket it took about 4 weeks before I had no more pain.. and I still in fact have a hole in my gum but it is healing over slowly. Such a slow and painful process.

Vote:
I went back to my dentist this week to have my stitches removed he did not say anything about dry socket he did say it was healing well but it has been 8 days and I am still in pain

Vote:
Thank you for responding Ashlee

How long was it before the pain was gone, do you smoke, i read that will cause dry socket, did you get a partial once it was healed
It took about 4 weeks before the pain was gone but only because i had Dry Socket.. i've been told it shouldn't normally take 4 weeks. No i do not smoke, and i am not sure what a "partial" is but i do not think i had this..

Vote:
A partial is a denture , i am wondering if i have a dry socket, did you dentist tell you you had a dry socket
Oh sorry... no i did not get a denture.. yes my dentist told me i had dry socket.. it is a very painful experience :( If you have no clot/scabbing in the hole where the tooth was removed then you may have dry socket.. Good luck!

Vote:

Ask a Question