severe pain what is going on

please help some one i am in severe pain and nobody seems to know what going on, any ideas would be really welcome, the story goes as follows

approx a few months ago i started having toothache twinges in one of my upper double teeth, i have always had a fear of dentists from an early age as i had a bad experience when i was little, anyway it started to get quite painful so i booked a dentist appointment, the dentist took an x ray which showed a large cavity in the side of the tooth in question, she said she could probably fill it but it was quite deep and she wasnt sure she could save it, anyway after 2 numbing injections she managed to fill the tooth, i went home but as the anaesthectic wore off i was having very severe burning throbbing pain which seemed to affect all the back teeth top and bottom on the right side, the pain was that severe that i ended up in a & e as every pain killer i tried did nothing. i was told i might have tmj, strange as before this incident i had not had a problem , they also took an x ray which showed that i still had decay on the tooth that had been filled, i was given a one off dose of steroids and it seemed to settle down for a few weeks, the pain was still there but too bad, then it started again, i ended up in a & e again, this time they gave me 2 very painful nerve blocks 1 top and 1 bottom inside my mouth up into the jaw area, it made my face go numb for about 12 hours but did nothing for the tooth pain, then i was also told i may have atypical odontalgia.
i am still in severe pain and my cheek if very slightly swollen, but i dont have a temperature, they have given me anti epileptic meds too take and thats it.
has anyone had anything similar to this happen to them, i am really in a mess and it has also given me an anxiety flare which has been under control for years
thanks
andrea

Without seeing an x-ray its hard to say, but has anyone suggested a root canal? If the cavity on the tooth was close to or into the nerve, a root canal would be the only way to save it.

Vote:

Ask a Question