Severe Pain

So here's my problem 5 weeks ago a started all of a sudden having really bad tooth ache. I hadn't been for my check up in 3 years which I know was wrong but I ended up having to go to the emergency dentist. He said I had a cavity on my back left molar, no xray was done. He said he was putting in a temporary filling which was huge and lumpy I couldn't chew properly for days even on the other side of my mouth but he said to see my regular dentist. Relieved I went to see my normal dentist a week later he said it wasn't a temporary filling but a permanent one and that it had ground down enough now to not cause problems all the rest of my teeth were perfect. 2 weeks later the most excruciating pain I have ever felt on the same tooth was back yet again and I had to see an emergency dentist again, this time I had an xray and I had a severe tooth infection I was given antibiotics which haven't touched the pain even with pain killers this dentist said I need a root canal or to have it extracted. ( I'm having an extraction I can't stand the pain any longer and I now have a fear of dentists as I am nearly 100% sure the original dentist filled in infection.) So what should I do about it should I complain or what? I don't know what to do I'm going on holiday in a few days and I need to have the tooth out but if I can't get my dentist to do it in time I'm scared to go back to the emergency dentist I'm considering trying to pull it out myself rather than let that butcher near my teeth again.

drmins

Verified Dentist
Dear friend, it would be good if you can upload that x-ray image.From the history given above,it appears that you had a deep caries that was causing the pain initially. If you had taken an x-ray at that time,it would have been evident and you would have been given a caries excavation and pulp capping OR a root canal treatment.Instead,you went for a filling and now, the underlying caries would have spread still further and reached the pulp,that caused this intense pain.It is not that the dentist filled the infection in to your tooth.

I would suggest you not to get it extracted,but get it treated with root canal.Please upload the pic of your x-ray image and i can comment further on it.

Thanking you
dr.mins

Vote:

Ask a Question