Severe Tooth Pain after Filling in molar

Hi there!

I am hoping someone can help me!

On Monday afternoon I had a filling on my bottom left molar due to it being cracked. By the looks of it it was quite a deep filling. I had about 3 injections of anesthesia into my jaw (I think) which caused it to feel tight up until yesterday. However, the tooth on the TOP left has a constant tingling sensation and feels a little sore. I went back to the dentist on Wednesday and she said it should just be from the anesthesia seeing as it went through the muscle tissue (or something like that). She prodded it a few times but there was no pain. Sometimes the tingling feels as if it is coming from above the gum behind the top molar, almost as if it is coming from my cheek? Last night I also noticed that the tingling would dart from corner to corner of my mouth, but the funny thing is the bottom molar where I got my filling is not very tingly at all. I have been using sensitive toothpaste the last few days in the hope it might be sensitivity, but the feeling is constant!

Do you think this is happening because it is the other tooth that is connected to the jaw? Has the anesthesia maybe disturbed something and it is just taking a wee while to settle back down?

Any help is much appreciated!

Great Lakes Dental

Verified Dentist
Hi Cameron,

Often when fillings are deep, the process of drilling and filling can irritate the nerves around the site. Discomfort from the process can cause you to feel the sensation of pain coming from areas other then where you received your treatment. Another possible cause of discomfort may be from the strain put on your jaw muscles and ligaments or like you said, if you received 3 needles, that will certainly take time to heal as well.

Bottom line, I would recommend giving yourself two weeks to heal and let your nerves settle down (assuming your symptoms are limited to just pain). If you notice infection (swelling, bleeding, puss, bad taste or foul odour occurring inside your mouth), you'll need to return sooner. If after two weeks, you're still in pain, you may require a bite adjustment (a minor in & out procedure).

Sincerely,

Dr. Jennifer Thomm
Cosmetic Dentist
Great Lakes Dental
Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Vote:

Ask a Question