Root canal treatment on a crowned tooth?

Solutions
Hi, I would like to inquire about having root canal treatment on teeth with existing porcelain crowns. I have two teeth that are infected but both of them are crowned. The dentist has suggested to remove the crowns, do the RCT and fit a new crown once complete. How reliable is this treatment and will these two teeth survive for a long time after treatment or is it just best to have them extracted now and look at dental implants in a few months' time?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Very difficult to give an exact opinion, since there are a lot of factors to discuss. Although root canal treatments can work and be successful for a long period, root canal procedures in itself have a lot of risks that need to be discussed during the informed consent process. Difficult anatomy, instrument fractures, perforations are all possibilities of potential problems that will influence the ultimate success of the treatment. That being said, there are also risks associated with implants. Ultimately, the dentist should discuss all risks with you of both options before a choice is made.

Vote:

I feel it depends on the situation, as Dr. M said.
I was surfing the same situation on google, so find the article discussing this "The crown will be placed on the tooth to protect it from fractures and damages if it has already been weakened by injury, fracture, or a root canal. The first root canal performed on the tooth may have failed to cause the dentist to offer further treatment to the tooth by another root canal.
You will need a new crown after the root canal because the crown's structural integrity would have been compromised. The root canal performed can become reinfected again if the old crown is used.
" Town Square Dental

Yes, before moving ahead, your dentist will discuss with you in detail all possibilities.

Vote:

Ask a Question