Front incisor root canal retreatment.

I suffered trauma to a front upper incisor as a teenager and had a root canal treatment on the tooth about 40 years ago. About 6 months ago it woke from its slumber and I experienced a series of episodes of moderate to severe discomfort. Nothing major showed on the X ray but the dentist advised that the treatment be redone on the basis that root canal treatments don't last forever and modern techniques are more effective than what I had so long ago, The root canal was redone nearly three weeks ago and the endontist found some infection and degradation of the original treatment. Since then I have experienced pain, no swelling but general moderate discomfort through the tooth. I spoke to my dentist after two weeks and he prescribed amoxycillin which, 4 days in, doesn't appear to be having any effect. My teeth often take their time to settle after treatment, but I am concerned that there is little sign of improvement. Anyone experienced anything like this and can advise on what I might expect going forward? Do I just need to be more patient?

Thanks in advance.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Has the tooth been evaluated for any cracks? Old root canal treated teeth, sometimes become brittle over time. Also have your dentist check the occlusion on the tooth. Try and take it out of the bite a little bit.
What is the condition of the adjacent teeth?

Any x-rays or photos will be of great help in giving more advice.

Vote:
Good day

Has the tooth been evaluated for any cracks? Old root canal treated teeth, sometimes become brittle over time. Also have your dentist check the occlusion on the tooth. Try and take it out of the bite a little bit.
What is the condition of the adjacent teeth?

Any x-rays or photos will be of great help in giving more advice.
Thanks for replying. The adjacent teeth both have a minor filling but are pretty sound. I did wonder about the bite. It doesn't feel as if is impacting other teeth on the bite but I will get this checked by my dentist. i have worn a night guard in the past and I think I will start wearing it again to see if it helps. The tooth was x rayed by my endontist before and after treatment and I don't think there is any evidence of a crack.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Even if a tooth has been root canal treated, it still has ligaments around it, which can become painful due to grinding or the occlusion with the opposing teeth.

Vote:
After a promising few days, the tooth has been making life pretty miserable again. I have booked in to to see my dentist to review the situation. This will be one month after the initial procedure. Not feeling optimistic.

Vote:

Ask a Question