Please help!

I am a 28 year old Army veteran. As a child, I was never taught how to take care of my teeth or how to Floss. Because of that I have never been consistent with taking care of my teeth. Although I know how bad it sounds now, their were times where i would go over a month without brushing. I was also a smoker for more than 15 years and occasionally chewed tobacco. I've never had any issues with my teeth other than bleeding gums bc i brushed so infrequently. About 6 months ago, I stopped drinking alcohol and smoking, and I started brushing my teeth every day. As I go longer and longer taking proper care of my teeth now (including thorough Floss and mouthwash), it feels to me that my teeth are Becoming more unhealthy. My gums are still bleeding when I brush, and especially when i floss. This didn't start immediately after I started taking care of them. It has progressed over the past couple of months. What could it be? ? I use sensory need toothpaste now and I also switched to a soft bristle brush...Please keep comments civil. ..I know it wasn't healthy to not take care of my teeth before but I am doing way better now. ..If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it! !

Thanks
Corey

Hi Corey,
We won't worry about the past. It's better to focus on the present and the future. It's great that you're taking good care of your teeth now. A soft toothbrush is definitely the only kind that you need to use. Have you gone in for a professional cleaning? Without seeing you in person, I cannot say whether or not you have gingivitis or gum disease. A professional cleaning will reach areas that you cannot clean yourself and will help to get your gums back into good shape. Sometimes the hygienist will also prescribe a rinse that will help with bleeding. She will also make sure that you are using the proper technique when brushing and flossing so you don't inadvertently cause additional damage.

Vote:
I would like to share my recent experiences with Dentists, I had not been near a dentist since I was around 16,shocking yes! I put it off for many many months, I was making appointments and never following them through, it was my worst nightmare to be honest, and around 3 months ago I registered with a dentist, I went for a check up, since regularly attending I have changed my whole outlook, and, ever since my first extraction only a week ago, I was more than just terrified, I was ready to throw up!! now, I am a completely changed person, I shall be going in a weeks time for another extraction, and, now I know what its like! the injection was nothing like I thought it would be, I felt absolutely nothing!! thanks to my wonderful dentist, I will never look back

Vote:

Ask a Question