I’ve baffled my dentist and doctor! Help please! Could it be Lichen Planus?

Hi everyone. I’ve had red inflamed gums for about 6 months now. They hurt when I eat anything spicy and have been receding. My Dentist didn’t think it was gingivitis and encouraged me to go my doctor. He then told me to go to my dentist!!!

They are red around the base of the tooth and very paid higher up. Ok, until recently I had gone through a period of depression and was barely eating anything - what I was eating wasn’t very nutritious - bread, cereal, chocolate!

Could the gum issues be caused my malnutrition? I was also wondering about Lichen Planus, as I’ve had that as a diagnosis approximately 5 years ago.

I really don’t want to have any more gum recession.

Your opinions are very welcome

(Excuse my fingers in the photos, I was trying to expose my gums to show you what I mean)

Attachments

• C66BD492-80E5-4997-93DD-209EA9DD6CE3.jpeg
    C66BD492-80E5-4997-93DD-209EA9DD6CE3.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 245
  • B6DBDD7A-ECE1-4903-B13A-57B42EBB3A8F.jpeg
    B6DBDD7A-ECE1-4903-B13A-57B42EBB3A8F.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 240
Solutions
You have lovely teeth. Wouldn't your dentist and doctor have realised if it was a lichen planus relapse? After all it must be in your medical notes..

Has your diet improved now? Have you had a recent hygiene appointment and do you floss?

Vote:
Hi Busybee, I have swapped dentists and this dentist didn’t even mention lichen Planus. To be honest, it feels different from that. She suggested I see a gastroenterologist, as, she thought it could be inflammation caused by my digestive system being inflamed too. After all, the mouth is the start of the digestive system. I do have haemorrhoids at the moment, but I doubt that could cause inflamed gums,

My diet has improved now and a recent blood test showed zero vitamin deficiency, no caeliac disease and no other issues

I do floss, twice a day. I had my hygiene appointment a few weeks ago and she cleaned my teeth really well and stained removed. I guess she can’t have been too worried about my gums as she did Zoom Whitening on my teeth. Although, she had commented on how sore they look before the Zoom.

I’ve never had such issues with my gums and it’s getting me down :(

Vote:

Ask a Question