Please help. Had cavity refilling yesterday. Still have gum numbness on the injection site.

Solutions
Hi
I redo the cavity filling on tooth#19 yesterday. The numbenss goes off after 5 hours. I had some juice after that.
But I still have some pain and numbness feel on the gum where the injection is given. I took ibuprofen last night and I was able to sleep thru it. And after I wake up, it started again. It's like needle like pain. Also feel the area is very sore. I still don't feel my bite that side and I didn't chew anything on that side of the mouth.
Is this pain normal or should I go back to dentist? How long will be the pain in the injection area after the fillings done? Any inputs?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hopefully the pain should subside soon. To numb the lower teeth, the needle has to travel quite a distance to its target nerve and can be somewhat traumatic. Your mouth heals very quickly unless you have uncontrolled diabetes, any immune compromised condition(s) or smoke more than a chimney.

Vote:
Solutions
Hopefully the pain should subside soon. To numb the lower teeth, the needle has to travel quite a distance to its target nerve and can be somewhat traumatic. Your mouth heals very quickly unless you have uncontrolled diabetes, any immune compromised condition(s) or smoke more than a chimney.
Thank you so much @honestdoc. Appreciate it.
I don't have any uncontrolled diabetes or any immune things.
I will take ibprufen for few more days and see. It really hurts down the jaw line and the gum area.
Just another quick question.
Does the tooth which had the filling will be sensitive to hot and cold? I just had some water now and I feel t sensation on my tooth.
Whether it will be sensitive to cold and hot foods? When can I start eating on that side of the mouth?
Anyone have any inputs?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately any teeth that has dental work can get sensitive to colds. You could be fine for some time and suddenly get sensitive out of the blue...it is unpredictable. I have very sensitive teeth for about 1 month through out the year. Don't rush into eating on that side and just ease into it like you had sprained your ankle. Cold sensitivity of short duration is good. It means your root canal is vital and is letting you know that excessive cold can hurt the nerve. Damaged root canal (nerve) is when you have intense pain that wakes you up at night. If that occurs, you will need a root canal treatment. You shouldn't feel hot sensitive after a filling. If you did, have your dentist check it out. It could mean further pulpal (nerve) disease.

Vote:
Solutions
Unfortunately any teeth that has dental work can get sensitive to colds. You could be fine for some time and suddenly get sensitive out of the blue...it is unpredictable. I have very sensitive teeth for about 1 month through out the year. Don't rush into eating on that side and just ease into it like you had sprained your ankle. Cold sensitivity of short duration is good. It means your root canal is vital and is letting you know that excessive cold can hurt the nerve. Damaged root canal (nerve) is when you have intense pain that wakes you up at night. If that occurs, you will need a root canal treatment.
Thank you so much @honestdoc.

Vote:

Ask a Question