Trauma to my 2 year olds primary front right tooth. Please help!

Hello,
Three days ago, my two year old daughter fell and hit her face on a desk at a doctors office. :/ There was blood and tears and me freaking out. This was not the first time she had hurt this particular tooth. Around 10 months she flipped her tooth and they were able to put push it back and it healed beautifully and stayed white. During this particular incident at first the damaged tooth had a ever so slight very light grey color, barely noticeable.
This time is the same way only through X-ray she was found to have a horizontal fracture. The pediatric dentist recommended antibiotics and to extract the tooth in a week.
I received a second opinion, and that was to leave the tooth alone and evaluate since it wasn’t completely knocked out, however it was a little dislodged and very quickly cleaned and out back in place. Treatment was fast! She is not experiencing any sensitivity to hot or cold. (She ate soft ice cream without a flinch) she does not seem to want to bite down on the tooth, but she knows she has a boo boo there and is favoring the side of her mouth (this only happened 72 hours ago) Her swelling has drastically gone down as well. It’s a little grayish between the gum and tooth but that’s where it was bleeding.
My question is what should I do? I obviously don’t want to extract the tooth and want to save it at all costs. I have two different opinions from two very respectful dentists. She doesn’t seem to be in anything more than a very mild discomfort. I was told that was could happen if it becomes infected, but as of right now, it’s not. I really want to wait and see or should I immediately extract? I have been cleaning the area with warm salt water, giving her a good diet, Tylenol for pain and did not give her the antibiotics. I didn’t give her the antibiotic because they said as of now there was no sign of infection. I know amoxicillin will fight the good and bad so I didn’t think there was really a point in giving it to her without infection present. Please advise!
Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

Attachments

• AF165B7E-EBDB-4299-9261-A4140B429877.png
    AF165B7E-EBDB-4299-9261-A4140B429877.png
    300.6 KB · Views: 242

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I am not a pediatric dentist but work with a few of them. I will be back at the office with them this Thursday and ask their opinion as well. My opinion is to watch for swelling. Amazingly, children are fast healers due to their efficient vascular system. They have the potential to repair traumatized mouths naturally. As long as they have no swelling or fever, continue to watch her and hopefully she will develop better coordination. Her teeth may change color to maybe gray or darker. Her teeth may exfoliate sooner or may need to be extracted before its time. The key is swelling and or fever. I'll ask one of the pediatric dentist of her opinion this Thursday.

Vote:
I am not a pediatric dentist but work with a few of them. I will be back at the office with them this Thursday and ask their opinion as well. My opinion is to watch for swelling. Amazingly, children are fast healers due to their efficient vascular system. They have the potential to repair traumatized mouths naturally. As long as they have no swelling or fever, continue to watch her and hopefully she will develop better coordination. Her teeth may change color to maybe gray or darker. Her teeth may exfoliate sooner or may need to be extracted before its time. The key is swelling and or fever. I'll ask one of the pediatric dentist of her opinion this Thursday.

It means the world to me that you took the time to respond. I REALLY appreciate you asking and thank you for your advice.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I had talked with a pediatric dentist. She recommends regular followups every 3 weeks with pediatric dentist for possible abscess. Most likely the tooth will need to come out in the very near future and the most likely outcome from early removal of a front baby teeth is the adult tooth may have varying degrees of mineral defects (possible white spots or tooth discoloration) and the future front teeth midline may be off center.

Vote:
I had talked with a pediatric dentist. She recommends regular followups every 3 weeks with pediatric dentist for possible abscess. Most likely the tooth will need to come out in the very near future and the most likely outcome from early removal of a front baby teeth is the adult tooth may have varying degrees of mineral defects (possible white spots or tooth discoloration) and the future front teeth midline may be off center.
Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond to me. Unfortunately, we had to extract the tooth. It was devastating. The pediatric dentist said that she will put in what’s called a pedi-partial when she is two (in the next fees weeks) pending on how she reacts to an oral sedation. Of course this scares me as well and I’ve been researching the net up and down for the pros and cons of it. It’s seems fairly save and the pedo is pretty well trained in this field. Hoping for the best outcome. Thank you so much again

Vote:

Ask a Question