Please help me figure out what to do.

I just got back from a second general dentist (I have medi-cal or denti-cal which has very limited access to dental care) I've seen in two days.

The first one from yesterday, told me that I needed two root canals, and that I have 3 options. 1. do nothing. 2. Root canals, but pay it out my own pocket because the denti-cal doesn't cover it. 3. Extract it.

I told him I can't afford it and i'll do nothing about it. Then he asked me if I wanted my teeth cleaned, and I said yes. So he proceeded clean the teeth and as he was cleaning, he dug out a hole in the tooth on the left.

kQ6RD7W.jpg

That's the before the cleaning picture.

This is after.

EAGfKcH.jpg

See the gap in the after picture? That wasn't there before.

Now I didn't realize he was going to do it, and I got upset, because now I have a hole in my tooth that needs the root canal.

So I asked for xrays before and after to file a complaint and called the denti-cal office to which they suggested that I talk to the doctor to see if he will make it right.

But I realized today there was another clinic in town that takes denti-cal so I went in to get a consultation, and found out they DO take medi-cal as payment.

After I explained to him all the troubles I had with the other dentist at a different clinic yesterday, he explained that cleaning drills cannot penetrate the enamel to do that much digging.

And then after examination and another xray, he told me the nerves in the tooth that needs the root canal is too thin for him to do the procedure himself. And that I needed to see an endodontist.

Here's picture of the tooth, but it barely show the nerves.

kQ6RD7W.jpg

Is there a truth in what he's saying about the nerves being too thin? I just don't trust him on the issue. This is an issue for me because the first dentist I saw told me I needed root canals that he was going to do it, and he was a general dentist.

Now the second dentist, after I complained to him about the first, now decides that even though he's the only option I have to get the root canal done, is saying he's not capable of doing it. (He works at a clinic that takes medi-cal as payment for root canals)

And I asked him what happens if I just get the hole filled, and he told me that will cause pain.

So I made a third appt tomorrow to see if the third dentist will be able to do a root canal on it.

Are these people telling the truth? And if so how should I approach the third?

Thank you for any insights

Ask a Question