Mystery Pain That Gets Worst at 5pm.

Hi All,

I've had 3 year history of pain over #14 after a root canal.

Regardless of all the symptoms, ***the pain is always weak in the morning and as the day progresses maintains to a bearable level. However, whenever it hits 4/5ish pm, it always seems to be whip up.***

I am baffled by this cyclic nature!!

Plus, I am not laying down until 10 or 11 pm.

Here's the bullet points background:

1. Tooth is above gum at top of the mouth. It can throb, ache, pinch, be stabbing, and sometimes pulsates where I feel like it's forcing my jaw closed. When I get novocaine for procedures, the novocain does work and makes my mouth go numb.

2. The MUSCLE to the left of left side of my mouth really hurts if I massage it. This is the muscle that feels like it's in my cheek. However, when I massage it, it seems like it doesn't relieve 14.

3. I've had crown adjustments (b/c the tooth appears to be pushing down) and the crown has to keep being taken down.

4. 99% of the time, I have no problem falling asleep or staying asleep.

5. At rare times, the pain radiates to one of my middle teeth. And then can switch to a uncomfortable pins and needles on the opposite side of mouth. Also, 10% of the time in the last 3 years, I get pain in my cheeks and under my eyes.

6. Of course, people have suggested clenching and I got a night guard. The most recent dentist said I have wear on my teeth. But, why would the pain actually be less in the morning?

7. I don't appear to have a sinus infection. Never had had them. I tried nasal spray just in case. An ENT doctor found a blockage in my left sinus but it was nowhere over my back teeth. And again, I don't cough, have snot, have fevers, or feel weak

8. The nightguard doesn't seem to get rid of it completely but sometimes it makes me feel better. Other times, it feel useless and the pain is still there. I try to wear it the majority of the day if possible. But, I have to talk on the phone at work so I can't wear it. For a year and half when the people seemed to go away, I stopped wearing it completely. No issue. But, just started wearing it again b/c of the onset of symptoms.

7. 3 years ago, X-Rays showed no issues, according to one of my dentist. I got sent to Facial Cranial Pain Center where was told it was a neurological issue. I was given topical ointment, had novocaine shots in face, and neurontin which did nothing.

8. After that, The pain sort of faded about a year ago where I had short re-occurences. Still, I thought it was gone or fading.

9. Unfortunately, this spring it started to whip up again and last week was as intense and problematic as the beginning. Therefore, I went to a NEW DENTIST who did the same thing as last dentist:
a. adjusted the crown- no dice
b. gave me a M pack - a little relief at first but no dice
c. now has me on antibiotics.

Here's my conclusions:
1. I have a bad root canal on Tooth 14 with a missing canal for 3 years. A cracked tooth. Or an infection (although none of the respective treatments have worked before). It needs to be re-done (which is what the NEW DENTIST thinks).

2. I am clenching my teeth and somehow aggravating Tooth 14 - which is simulating a bad root canal. Although I'm not sure why the symptoms streamlined for about year and weren't bad if I'm constantly clenching for 3 years.

2A. The TENDER MUSCLE on the left side of my cheek is due to clenching. However, this clenching could be directly due to the pain in my mouth.

3. I have a neurological condition which is simulating all these issues. It seemed to go in hiding for a while but now is back. I need to see a neurologist. I don't appear to have TRIMENIAL(?) NEURALGIA though. No intense episodes of shocking pain in face. No wind or light touch triggers anything.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or insight, I'd love to hear it. I'm getting a 3D X-Ray on 14 which makes me optimistic.

Thanks for your time.
Ted in Boston (e-mail address removed)

I FORGOT TO MENTION - the tooth is not sensitive to hot or cold. once in a while, the tooth hurts like h—l when I push it up. but most of the time, i can eat on it. again, the pain seems to be above 14 at the top of my mouth.

Ted.

Vote:
You have described my issue over the last 6 weeks, I am so sick of pain, they have left my root canal tooth open to drain but who even knows if there is an infection to drain. Pain gets worse around 4

Vote:

Ask a Question