I NEED HELP

I need to undergo surgery on 11 teeth, including extractions, fillings and structure, the surgery takes about five hours, with an NG tube, I understood that this type of surgery has higher risks. I want to know if this is really a more dangerous operation than normal general anesthesia, and should such an operation really take five hours or is it too much?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Why is this a higher risk? A NG tube is standard when working in the oral cavity. The operation time is most likely due to the high amount of work that needs to be done. Less time, sometimes means sub-par quality of work. You will still be getting normal anaesthesia.

Vote:
Why is this a higher risk? A NG tube is standard when working in the oral cavity. The operation time is most likely due to the high amount of work that needs to be done. Less time, sometimes means sub-par quality of work. You will still be getting normal anaesthesia.
thats what the doctor told me. that this tube means a higher risk than a "normal" surgery because the tube is inserted through the nose, and not the mouth. such as loss of vision,paralysis , inabillity to move my face/jaw. internal bleeding.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I think this might be a bit over-dramatic. For a more accurate assessment of the risks involved in this surgery, as well as with any general anesthesia, speak to your anesthetist.

Vote:
I think this might be a bit over-dramatic. For a more accurate assessment of the risks involved in this surgery, as well as with any general anesthesia, speak to your anesthetik

I think this might be a bit over-dramatic. For a more accurate assessment of the risks involved in this surgery, as well as with any general anesthesia, speak to your anesthetist.
thats who told me all of that-in the pre surgery meeting with the anesthetist.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
This most likely formed part of your informed consent process. Although these are real risks, they are present with most surgeries. Dental surgery is done on a regular basis and is usually considered less dangerous compared to most other surgeries.

Vote:

Ask a Question