Feel like my dentist filed off too much of my tooth

Had new fillings put in my 1-7 and 2-7 in December. All was well until I realized over the holidays that the filling in 2-7 was just a little off and that I had pain in my 3-6 and 4-6 while chewing certain foods.
So about two weeks ago, I went back to my dentist to maybe get the filling checked out. I asked him which teeth had filling since I didn't really remember at the time and he told me the correct teeth. So I say that my second-to-last teeth in my lower jaw are hurting. He put the paper in and already told me the occlusion looked fine and that he couldn't shave off too much. But instead of going for the filling, he went for my 3-6. He asked me if it was better, but I couldn't really tell since the difference was probably so minimal, to which he agreed. He already said that it's oftentimes just a tiny bit that's off for the bite to hurt.

After that, he went over to my 4-6 and filed and left it at that. That tooth has been feeling weird ever since then. Not only that, but I feel like my bite got deeper because of it and that he filed of too much, despite him saying that he can't really do that. I never had the straightest teeth and jaw. My lower front teeth are slightly tipped inwards, making me able to touch the base of my upper front teeth while biting down. I was always able to avoid that contact, but that seems difficult now. Not only that, but I feel like chewing causes me slight headaches.

I'm scared now of the possibility that I now HAVE to visit an orthodontist and wear braces at 25. Scared because I worry it'll all get even worse for me. Is it really possible that my dentist shaved of some sort of "supporting element" of my teeth? And can that be restored somehow with some "clever filling" of maybe the tooth opposite of my 4-6? Any help is appreciated. I was worrying ever since then and feel like a total wreck because of it, thinking of whether or not I made a grave mistake by even having the filling checked out and not just adapting to it.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It sounds like the possibility was always there that you needed braces anyways, based on the way that you describe your teeth. It is highly unlikely that the dentist would have filed too much off from the tooth. Usually we adjust only a minimal amount, to ensure that the associated teeth are biting correctly on each other. After such an adjustment, it is completely normal that the teeth feel strange for a while, until you get used to it.
The pain that you might be experiencing, might be more related to your overall bite. Patients with a deep bite, also tend to grind their teeth, and this explains why the teeth was paining bilaterally.
I would suggest going for an orthodontic evaluation. This will evaluate all your issues. Patients with deep bites, often tend to develop other, sometimes more serious issues, at a later stage in life. Better to correct it now if possible.

Vote:
Thanks for your answer. I always figured I had a deep bite, but never thought I had to deal with it since I never really had any problems. For example, my dentist never commented on my gums receding on my upper front teeth, which they don't as far as I can tell.

If it's unlikely that my dentist filed off too much, how long do you think I need to get used to it? Again, it's been two weeks. I had a filing done before a few years ago, but I don't think I minded it that much back then.

And what do you precisely mean with "grinding teeth"? I mean, my teeth do have contact with one another, but I never grinded them due to anxiety or anything. Same thing while sleeping. People never commented on me grinding my teeth at night.

But I will consider visiting an orthodontist in the near future, although I'm scared of his assessments.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Grinding of teeth does not always happen consciously. We sometimes only see the signs on your teeth, even if you don't have pain. It is common with patients with a deep bite, like I mentioned, but an orthodontic evaluation will tell you more.
As for the front tooth, try to not think about it. Sometimes we become obsessed about our teeth, to the point where we don't allow ourselves to get used to any changes.

Vote:
Solutions
Yes your dentist could have shaved too much off especially as it seems he adjusted teeth that he hadn't treated without any study models or assessment of your overall bite. No there is no way to prove it and when these things happen it cannot be easily fixed (if at all) and you may end up being classified as someone who has "a sensitive bite". You can of course go to have orthodontic treatment that you don't want and didn't need previously and then find that helps or it may not help or you could end up with other problems. Orthodontics is a lifetime commitment.

You should get a second opinion about your bite and also consider a bite guard to see if that helps. It may well be that you will get used to the change over a few months.

Ps. I am not a dentist but I had serious problems with a bite adjustment that went wrong and I can assure you that there is no such thing as a bite "expert". There are good dentists and not so good dentists. Dentists cannot really critique or appraise another dentist's work on a bite unless they watched them do it and have examined you before and after and have study models to compare.

The best thing is to take very good care of your teeth so that you don't need too much treatment.

Vote:

Ask a Question