Back of front right tooth trimmed, feeling emptiness in the area

hey,

I recently went to a dentist for having white filling in my front right tooth which was chipped. After the filling was done, when I was chewing the food my bottom teeth were slightly hitting back of front teeth, and I have no idea why (maybe the dentist had to apply some white filling in the back of the chipped front tooth as well). Because of this discomfort, I visited the dentist again and they did some trimming at the back of the front right tooth.

After the trimming, I am constantly filling some kind of emptiness as if the back of front right tooth is removed or something. This is affecting me mentally as well my sleep. I have mild pain but no other symptoms.

I did visit the dentist again, they checked for numbness, I did feel the tooth and at the end they said to give more time so that I can get used to it. But I am not feeling confident about it due to my other health conditions where my mind is has become very sensitive (and this sudden change is difficult for me to bear).

I have posted the images here. The back of left front teeth is thicker than the right tooth, so I am sure that back of right front tooth is trimmed more than it should have or it has been completely removed.

It would be great to know what can I do to overcome this emptiness feeling. Is it possible to have some kind of filling to make back of right front tooth same as the one on the left? And will I am able to feel normal after getting such treatment?

Thank you in advance.

20240109_132816.jpg
20240107_150739.jpg

Solution
A lot of times a bit of filling is placed on the back of the tooth to strengthen the filling. If this extra bit, affected your bite, we usually adjust the occlusion until it is even or balanced. The empty feeling that you might be experiencing, might be due to the fact that the occlusion is not perfectly balanced. More adjustment, sometimes even on the adjacent tooth might be required.
I would give it time. Most of the time you get used to it. If you start experiencing headaches or if the front tooth becomes sensitive, more adjustment can then be done.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A lot of times a bit of filling is placed on the back of the tooth to strengthen the filling. If this extra bit, affected your bite, we usually adjust the occlusion until it is even or balanced. The empty feeling that you might be experiencing, might be due to the fact that the occlusion is not perfectly balanced. More adjustment, sometimes even on the adjacent tooth might be required.
I would give it time. Most of the time you get used to it. If you start experiencing headaches or if the front tooth becomes sensitive, more adjustment can then be done.

Vote:
Solution
Thank you very much for reply @Dr M. Apologies I did not get a notification of your reply, so I wasn't aware of it.

What you mentioned makes sense. It could be that the filling in the back of front right tooth is either trimmed or is completely removed and as a result the occlusion is imbalanced. I just hope that this is the issue and not any kind of permanent numbness/emptiness.

I will visit my dentist again to see if see if they can help.

Vote:
Ok, so I just visited my dentist (a senior one and not same as last one) and my analysis about front tooth back trimming was correct. Because of the back trimming, the tooth (as a whole) is now thinner which is the reason why I feel emptiness. I discussed with the doc if it would be possible to add some filling in the back so that I can feel a bit normal like before, however the dentist said that if they try to add the composite/white filling in the back, my bottom teeth may not perfectly sit with my top teeth (I guess this is same as occlusion imbalance?) and so to wait more and get used to it.

I understand her concern in going for further treatment, however I really want help in this and it has been 1 month and that feeling of emptiness still exists (and I am sure this will exist going forward). What should I do here? Is there something I can try at home? Should I get a third opinion?

Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that the doctor applied white filling completely in my front right tooth from only the front and not the back, to make tooth a bit heavier and also because it was slightly asymmetrical in size compared to front left tooth. However, this treatment is not improving my feeling of the tooth (it improves the look).

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You can get another opinion if you want. It is a bit difficult to give an exact opinion without physically seeing you. You can either add filling on the back, or adjust the adjacent filling a tiny bit, until it feels "'equal''.

Vote:
Again, thank you for your reply @Dr M. I will probably provide it more time and if it continues to affect me mentally, then I will consult a different dentist at a different surgery as both dentists which I have seen are part of the same surgery.

Vote:
@Dr M I was just googling connection between teeth and brain fog (as I am suffering from it ever since I had my front right back tooth got trimmed) and I have learnt that there is a connection between them.

In my situation could you recommend something to me, so that I can understand why I am having these brain fogs daily? Without extra composite filling in the back, is there any way to simulate of having the filling in the affected tooth (so that I can feel my tooth better)?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The best would be to see another dentist, so that the filling can either be built up, to achieve balance or the adjacent tooth trimmed down, to achieve balanced occlusion.
Unfortunately the only OTHER way is to stop thinking about it. If one becomes obsessed with a dental issue, it remains an issue, even if the problem was solved.
The ''brain fog'' that you are experiencing, might be related to another medical issue.

Vote:
Again thank you for your reply @Dr M. I am going to visit my dentist soon and see what they can suggest and offer. I really do hope to overcome it as soon as possible. Hopefully it gets resolved on its own.

As you suggested I will try to not think about it.

Vote:
@Dr M I recently saw a different dentist and they did not agree with building up filling in the back of my front right tooth as they said that it won't help me. They did apply ice-based solution in the back of the tooth to understand the tooth sensitivity and I did feel the cold effect and so the tooth sensitivity is normal.

I am in desperate in need of help as I really do not want to live like this where I am having constant brain fogs (as my natural tooth was trimmed). I found some details here: https://www.totalfamilydentalgroup.com/blog/articles/tooth-loss-and-memory-loss/

Is there any other alternative to white/composite filling that can be applied in the back of the tooth? If not, what should I do?

Thank you in advance.

Vote:

Ask a Question