Extraction or retreatment?

Is this tooth salvageable? Should I try to find endodontist who would attempt retreatment? I know I have infflamation around the root tip, but I was told there is also second lesion/inflammation. Is that true? I circled it. I was told the second one wolud be harder to eliminate.

The thing is in place that I live there aren't any endodontists and basically general dentists make RCT. I chose one that was recommended to me and she said that extraction is the best option, because chance that retreatment will be successful is too small.

What's your honest opinion? Is this tooth worth fighting for? Should I look endodotist in some bigger city? What are the chances to save this tooth?

Tooth gives me small pain(1-3, mostly 1, on scale to 10) periodically, especially after eating someting hard, and is sensitive to the touch(not always).
Visually it looks normal.

13.jpg

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You can always seek the opinion of an endodontist before considering extraction, but a lesion in that are might also be an indication of a crack. Weigh up the options regarding costs and time etc. Might be a better option to consider extraction and then replacement with a dental implant or bridge, once the area has healed. A better long term solution at least, because even re-treated root canal teeth, eventually can fail

Vote:
Thank you for answer.

Is this something that is urgent(RCT or extraction)?
Could I keep this tooth for a while, if it's not bothering me too much? What are the risks?

Could you also look on my panoramic xray from earlier this year. Is this second lesion visible there?
Because I remember dentist told me only about lesion around the root tip then.
pano.jpg

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It does not appear on the earlier panoramic, that I can see. If the tooth is not painful, you can keep it for a while. Just be informed that the tooth might fracture, or the infection might spread, infecting other teeth in the region or prolonging the healing period after removal , before a bridge or dental implant can be placed.

Vote:
That's the dilemma. Every choice has its pros and cons.

Retreatment can fail and tooth will need to extracted anyway.
In case of a bridge I'd need to drill down neighbouring teeth.
Implants are costly, whole process can take up to one year, and may not always be possible.
Can't make up my mind.

Vote:
While extraction is simpler, saving the tooth with retreatment might be worthwhile if the second lesion isn't severe and preserving the tooth is important for you. Consult an endodontist in a nearby city for a specialized assessment and weigh their success rate against travel and cost considerations.

Vote:
Fix your diet/lifestyle, and then check in with your body first to know what's right for you. It doesn't seem like getting it extracted right away is a good long-term bet.

If you stop eating inflammatory foods with refined sugar, chances are your blood will stop being inflammed, your gut will get balanced. That's what happened to my body when I stopped eating refined sugar. I still eat fruit. I don't eat much gluten either because it's 10x inflammatory than even refined sugar [cane sugar, dextrose, etc].

cinnamon or other herbs can ease the pain, I use Dr. Christopher's toothpaste along those lines.

I know how that feels [or doens't anymore] because I had tooth 19 extracted when I was a kid.

Stay away from extractions if possible. Your body needs your teeth, at least in most dimensions. They are transmitters for the nerves to the rest of your body. Circuit breakers. But there's always tolerance for things.

Vote:

Ask a Question