Does alveolar recession reverse in toddlers who have had an early incisor extraction due to a fall?

Our child had a fall at 3 years old and had the primary/milk/baby upper central incisor extracted after it turned necrotic and developed a sinus.

A couple of years later , I can see the bone/gum around where the tooth was has become higher that than the neighbouring teeth where the teeth have not been extracted. I understand this is due to lack of blood flow now the baby tooth has been removed

Questions:

When the permanent tooth comes in , will the bone/gum tissue regrow so it’s even with the neighbouring teeth?

Any other issues that may be caused by the early extraction of an incisor?

Thanks

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Early loss of a primary tooth, can sometimes result in rotation or mal-positioning of the permanent incisor upon eruption. This is because one of the main purposes of baby teeth is space maintenance and to assist in guiding the eruption of the permanent tooth.
This might then result in an orthodontic issue at a later stage. As for the gum line in comparison to the neighboring teeth-you will have to wait and see until the permanent incisor erupts. Gingival margins can be be adjusted, but only at a later age preferably.
Most likely there won't be any major issues, although there are risks. You will just have to wait and see.

Vote:
Thanks for the reply! Yes I’m prepared for the tooth to come out misaligned , which could be fixed with braces, so not worried about that - more worried about any loss in alveolar bone which isn’t reversible

Out of interest do you know where dentistry whitepapers are on the internet? I figure there must be research into this sort of thing (eg 200 children were studied with early primary tooth extraction , this is the result 5 years later etc) strangely I can’t find any information on this topic

Vote:

Ask a Question