Second molar extraction

I had my second molar on the bottom left extracted yesterday. It all came out in one piece so no stitches. I’m sure it’s healing right but I tend to overthink things like this. Bad habit. Does this look like it’s healing right so far? It’s still extremely new and fresh. It has the blood clot from what I can see. But it’s starting to turn white on top of the clot I think.

Attachments

• IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 19
Everything is looking normal. The white or yellow tissue forming is granulation tissue or scar tissue
This is what it is looking like today. I have a dull ache in my jaw that comes and goes. But nothing too unbearable right now. The blood clot is still in the socket. So I assume everything is as it should be.
It still is pretty sore around and looks a little irritated.

Attachments

• IMG_6169.jpeg
    IMG_6169.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 12

Vote:
I’m worried it’s becoming infected or something. It seems more swollen today. And sharp pains in the jaw. It’s still extremely tender. This is what it’s looking like right now.

Attachments

• IMG_6187.jpeg
    IMG_6187.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 9

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If the pain increases, there is a chance that you might have a dry socket. I think it is best to arrange a follow-up visit with your dentist, so that the socket can be rinsed out. A dry socket is more common in lower teeth, 3-5 days after an extraction

Vote:
If the pain increases, there is a chance that you might have a dry socket. I think it is best to arrange a follow-up visit with your dentist, so that the socket can be rinsed out. A dry socket is more common in lower teeth, 3-5 days after an extraction
I called the dentist and they’re unable to get me in on my scheduled post op appointment due to me testing positive for strep Sunday night. I explained everything over the phone and was told that my pain doesn’t sound like the pain you’d have with dry socket. So it couldn’t “possibly be dry socket”. At this point I’m managing to the otc pain relief and currently on antibiotics for the strep.
I’m keeping a close eye on the extraction site. Blood clot seems to still be there but it’s starting to sink in on one side. I’m 5 days post extraction. The pain isn’t excruciating, it’s more of a dull ache that comes and goes in my jaw.

Attachments

• IMG_6196.jpeg
    IMG_6196.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 14

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A dry socket is a self limiting disease, meaning eventually it will heal on its own. The antibiotics you are taking for the strep, should also assist with any infection. Try taking any anti-inflammatory OTC medicine. If the pain is not better in two days, seek a second opinion from another dentist.

Vote:
A dry socket is a self limiting disease, meaning eventually it will heal on its own. The antibiotics you are taking for the strep, should also assist with any infection. Try taking any anti-inflammatory OTC medicine. If the pain is not better in two days, seek a second opinion from another dentist.
Thank you!

Vote:

Ask a Question