Complex extraction at age 73 of big back molar in lower jaw

My dentist says my tooth is beyond repair and needs a complex extraction - decayed, infected, and broken below gumline, but it causes no pain or discomfort. It is a big molar right at the back of my lower jaw but she says it isn't a wisdom tooth. I will be having it done with local anaesthetic and I am terrified with all that I have read. I am 73 and read that complications are more likely at my age, though the dentist says age doesn't matter. My fear of having it pulled, and the expense, is causing me to procrastinate, but would waiting put me at high risk of future problems? Do lots of people of my age have this procedure with no problems during or post-extraction. I'm in the UK.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Can you put up Xray images? Preferably a full-mouth OPG and a smaller periapical. Ask your dentist for copies.

Vote:
Dentists in the UK don't normally give patients copies of the Xray images, but I don't see why not as I am paying for treatment. I will try to obtain them. Has anyone else in the UK requested and received copies of their Xray images?
Can you put up Xray images? Preferably a full-mouth OPG and a smaller periapical. Ask your dentist for copies.

Vote:

Ask a Question