Upper tooth extraction no epi

I have two extractions today. One on lower left side and the other on top left side. I have had bottom extractions before and I do it without epinephrine. I am told that the upper tooth will have to have an epinephrine shot because upper teeth can't be extracted without epinephrine. I wanted to ask on here if that is true? Has anyone had upper extractions without epinephrine?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You can definitely extract a top tooth without epinephrine as well. I do it on a regular basis. The LA without epinephrine does not always last as long, because it lacks the vasoconstriction effects of the epinephrine, but it still numbs the tooth. There are certain patients with specific medical conditions, where we only use LA without epinephrine for top and bottom teeth.
I see no reason why it can't be done without epinephrine

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sure, can do it without epi. Only downsides are: less effective, less working time, smaller maximum dose allowed (if doing mulitple extractions), and more likely to bleed. All of this is manageable.
Why aren't you able to have epi?

Vote:
It's not universally true that you need epi for upper tooth extraction. Epinephrine is often added to local anesthetics to constrict blood vessels in that area. This can help reduce bleeding, increase the effectiveness of the anesthetic, and prolong its duration. The decision to use a local anesthetic with or without epinephrine depends on various factors, including the complexity of the extraction, the patient's medical history, and the dentist's preference.

Vote:

Ask a Question