Do dentists practice Zirconia Reinforced GIC filling these days?

I have 5 cavities in my posterior teeth including the wisdom teeth. I have visited a few dentists before, they say the best option would be Glass Ionomer Cement, GIC.

They neither suggested me composite nor amalgam filling. As in composite filling, tooth should be kept very dry which is difficult to maintain in the posterior and wisdom teeth. Even though amalgam filling would last much longer, suitable for posterior teeth and can withstand chewing forces but it requires a larger tooth structure has to be removed resulting in weaker tooth. Also I already have 2 amalgam fillings.

But I didn't went for normal GIC filling because it can only last upto an average of 5 years.

I researched about new dental filling materials which had the benefits of both GIC and Amalgam, is suitable for posterior teeth and would last longer. And I got to know about Zirconia Reinforced GIC.

I read the research papers, and surprisingly, this material provides mechanical strength equal to that of Amalgam. And on top of that, it provides the benefits of GIC such as flouride release and lesser removal of tooth structure.

So what dentists have to say on this new material and do they practice it?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I had to look this up. The reports I read didn't give much detail and there appear to be no long-term studies. GIC should also be placed without moisture contamination. I'd suggest you either a composite or amalgam placed under a rubber dam to keep moisture out of it. It's not necessarily true that amalgam requires more tooth removal. Often the decay creates enough retention without further drilling than usual.

Vote:

Ask a Question