Debating on getting surgical extraction Wednsday, help!

Well, let me start saying that I am dental phobic, but other than that, there are several things that are causing me to debate if I should wait a bit to get a surgical extraction for a piece of old root canal from 15 years ago. My appointment for a surgical extraction is next Wednesday and I am debating if I should cancel or get it done with. Here are my issues:

1) I will be leaving for Italy in the next 12 days after the procedure, a total flight of about 18 hours. I am terrified if after the extraction I will end up with complications and have to fly or can no longer fly after spending all my savings on that ticket. For some reason, I take long to heal from mouth issues and get mouth ulcers that last for days after dental procedures.
2) I have lost a great deal of weight in the last months. Saw a doctor for it and he ran tests and couldn't find anything wrong with me. I am 38 years old and used to weigh 113 pounds and now I am 102.6 in the morning! I am scared to be on a liquid diet for several days and lose more weight. I don't feel in top shape and look forward to relax in Italy. When I go to Italy, my mission is to gain weight and feel better, and then perhaps I would be in better shape to endure the surgical extraction.
3) I have been having ulcer-like pain these past days. Feels like I ma producing a lot of acid and get hunger pain that gets better once I eat. It could be just the stress of thinking about the surgical extraction, I wouldn't be surprised as I tend to worry and get diarrhea when nervous. If I am having these gastric issues, I cannot imagine myself taking pain killers (known for causing gastric issues) for days and eating a liquid diet.
4) I am afraid of having some bleeding issue and maybe should run some tests before the extraction-- therefore perhaps should postpone it. Several years ago had a mole removed and the surgeon had to cauterize it to stop the bleeding. Then had a polyp removed and the obgyn had to also cauterize. Also, had a PAP test done a few months ago and the obgyn was rough and I bled on and off for 15 days at a time! For some reason, I feel like I bleed longer and more than I should.
5) I am planning to go off the contraceptive pill while leaving for Italy and once back it may help being off since I heard the pill may interfere with healing and may cause dry socket. I am planning to stop the pill completely once back.
6) Since my weight loss, I have been prone to infections, I have been getting yeast infections almost every month and even urinary tract infections. My doctor thinks it may be the pill. So if I get it done now, I am afraid if I get a mouth infection after the extraction. Again, may be better once off the pill.
7) last but not least, the pain has considerable lessened. When I called the receptionist she told me "it won't get any better" but it really has! The pain started after a piece of this tooth fell of 10 days ago and after eating hard pretzels. My husband had pain too after eating the hard pretzels. Before, the area would really hurt when I passed the toothbrush there and now I barely feel it. It just bothers me a bit when I an inhale or eat cold food, but it feels more like sensitivity than real pain. I wonder if it's just the gum being sensitive after the piece fell off?

But then, I am terrified if the pain should increase and cause problems the day I must fly or during my vacation! Also, it's annoying when food gets stuck up there, but if I could hold off perhaps until next month when I come back from my vacation I may be more prepared, will have gained weight (I always do when vacationing in Italy) and perhaps be in a healthier state. Any advice appreciated, sorry if this is long!

Ask a Question