Is it normal to have pain one week after getting filling?

I got a filling in an upper wisdom tooth 9 days ago. I have had a dull ache on that side off and on since. I have also had a couple of times where my tooth seemed very sensitive to cold. It hurts a little to chew on that side. Sometimes the pain seems to be coming from at tooth two teeth down. I have great teeth, only three small cavities before this for 57 years. When the filling was done, the tooth was not numbed properly at first and it hurt a lot when he first started drilling--he had to inject more anesthetic. Is this something that will get better over time?

Was it a composite filling? If so was it lined? If you have an unlined composite filling sensitive to (hot and/or) cold, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you have it replaced lined.

Vote:
Because composite fillings contain substances that are toxic to the pulp if not throughout your body. My two experiences with unlined composite fillings is one of bouts of pain that had me bent double and ended up needing a root canal treatment and one lasting several minutes in worse-than-death agony – a pain level near that of the drill on an unsedated tooth. The idea, apparently, is that without the lining, the dentine tubules are held together better.

Vote:
Solutions
It should get better over time. I've had similar problems and they eventually go. But get another dentist to look to be on the safe side. A dentist that works on your tooth before it's numb is not one you want to go back to maybe.

Vote:

Ask a Question