Cavity Hurts after getting filling

Hi,
I just got a filling done on one of my teeth, when I go to floss it hurts on either side of the tooth (feels like there is an unfilled cavity in-between the tooth that got filled and the next tooth over). It also hurts to chew on anything that isn't especially soft (anything harder then bread) The dentist advised that there is no cavity between the teeth, and has adjusted my bite a couple times. It has been two weeks since the filling was done. What could be causing the issue?

what type of dental filling? where is the location of the tooth? and the size of the / cavity filling? Does the floss get stuck while flossing ? do you grind or clench your teeth during the day or night?

Sean- assuming that your dentist is stating the truth about the filling, then it could be different reasons. One could be the size/ height of the filling ( even though the dentist adjusted it) If the filling material is white composite material, then possible saliva contamination occurred during the process. Or Composite filling is not cured/ set completely in the tooth.

Listen- talk more to your dentist and explain the situation. Maybe they need to redo the filling or for more side or top adjustments on the filling. Keep me posted. Regards, AF05

Vote:
the paperwork says the filling is a white bond or something along the lines of that? The location is 3 back from the k9 on my lower right side. The filling takes up most if not all of the top of the tooth. Floss does get stuck when trying to pull it out. I have never grinded or habitually clenched my teeth.

If it is not cured or set properly, does this eventually go away? He made an adjustment a few days ago, I will give it a couple weeks and see if it disappears, if not I will make another appt.

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
It is very common to have sensitivity after a white filling and it can last for weeks, months, years or forever. In 99% of cases though, it comes down to the dentist's technique. Proper technique can prevent the VAST majority of sensitivity. In cases where it happens, replacing the filling using proper technique solves the problem.

White fillings are easy to do, but very hard to do well.

Vote:
I just had the dentist replace the filling and it hurts less now but still not usable without pain, flossing is not a problem anymore. Should I be trying another dentist to see if they can fix the filling?

Vote:

Ask a Question