Crown falling out with tooth attached

Hello! I had a problem today. My tooth crown fell out and the tooth is attached to it. I have a hole in my mouth where the tooth was. I'm guessing it's only the part above the gumline that's fallen out. I have no pain as of now, but it's very unsettling. The tooth already had a root canal before the crown was placed. Will the dentist be able to build the tooth structure above the gumline and put the crown back there? Or will I need to have a new crown placed? Or maybe something else? Thanks in advance!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If it's sheared off at gum level, then it is probably doomed for an extraction. You can't put on a crown if there's nothing to hang it off. To even rebuild a structure above the gumline would be very high risk of failure, and I very rarely do it. Go see your dentist.

Vote:
If it's sheared off at gum level, then it is probably doomed for an extraction. You can't put on a crown if there's nothing to hang it off. To even rebuild a structure above the gumline would be very high risk of failure, and I very rarely do it. Go see your dentist.

Isn't it possible to do it with a post which you put in the canal and then you make the crown around it ?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Yes, but all the forces are then concentrated at the post in the middle, and they often fracture. The exceptions might be cast gold post-and-cores for molars, but rarely done because all the right factors have to be in place.Better to plan for an extraction, then either denture, bridge, or implant.

Vote:
Yes, but all the forces are then concentrated at the post in the middle, and they often fracture. The exceptions might be cast gold post-and-cores for molars, but rarely done because all the right factors have to be in place.Better to plan for an extraction, then either denture, bridge, or implant.

Yeah, I know the extraction is the easy way. But I don't like bridges because they ruin the adjacent teeth, and implants are very expensive. An orthodontist once said that there's nothing better than having your own teeth to chew on, even if it is temporary. Eventually, I'll have to go to my dentist so he can see and assess the situation.

Vote:

Ask a Question