when I get a new crown, is the tooth under the crown dead?

Solutions
I am having a continued problem with my root canal and crown. I got a root canal and crown in late August of this year (upper canine tooth). The temporary crown felt great. But then I got the permanent crown. Soon after I got my permanent crown, it started feeling sore. It is sensitive to hot food. It is sore when I push against it with my finger, or pull on it with my tongue. It is sensitive when I am out walking in the cold weather with my mouth open. It is not painful. It's just sore. Not terribly sore. But the soreness worries me because it should not be occurring

I went back to the dental office, and a senior dentist examined my crown. He did a 3-D xray. He decided to give me a powerful antibiotic which I took 4X a day for seven days. He said IF my root canal still has an infection this antibiotic will make it feel better. Well, the antibiotic had no effect on the tooth. It continued to be sore. I went to the dentist yesterday to update him about outcome of the antibiotic treatment. He suggested I see an endodontist. I asked him if I would be responsible for the cost, and he said yes. (I don't have insurance).

Tonight I may have figured out what the problem is. But first give you this information: After getting fitted with my permanent crown, I attempted to put on my Hawley retainer, and it felt uncomfortably tight. I wore it for about a week, and took the retainer back to the dentist office and she did an adjustment. It was still tight. Brought it back again. Another adjustment. Still too tight. So I went and got a new retainer. The new one is an Essex retainer.

Tonight it dawned on me that when I put my essex retainer on, my tooth ceases being sore. The soreness vanishes. The essex retainer covers my entire crown all the way to the top. Is it possible that air has been getting into the crown, and the retainer is blocking air from getting inside? I told the dentist that I can put my fingernail at the top of my crown and feel the top edge of it. I asked if that was normal, but I didn't get a straight answer. I asked her if it was possible that air was getting into my crown, and she no. I think she also said that the tooth under the crown is dead. So I am here to ask you if, in fact, the tooth under the crown is dead? Are there any live nerves under a crown after someone has a root canal and the old tooth is ground down? Because I think air is getting into the crown and is causing the soreness I Thank you for your reply!

Last edited:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you have had a root canal in the canine, then the tooth is dead and you should not feel hot or cold sensations. If you have a post-op digital Xray, post it up for us to see. Any Xrays of adjacent teeth would also be helpful.

Vote:
Solutions
If you have had a root canal in the canine, then the tooth is dead and you should not feel hot or cold sensations. If you have a post-op digital Xray, post it up for us to see. Any Xrays of adjacent teeth would also be helpful.

Thanks, I don't have any x-rays. Not sure why I am feeling sensation if this tooth is dead. So maybe my "air is getting in" theory is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:

Ask a Question