Invisalign and crowns

Hello,
I’ve recently have had the bad luck of cracking my back molar (T31). Yes, I’m a grinder and a clencher.
The dentist has told me she’d like to put a temporary crown on the tooth while my teeth are shifted by the Invisalign and that the permanent crown would be put in after the Invisalign treatment is finished. I was told that the be temporary crown would be worn for a year.
Is this standard? Would I really need a temporary instead of getting a permanent crown?
The reason the dentist gave is that my teeth would shift and that she’d like to see where things are before putting in the permanent crown in. My teeth are very close together, my three crooked teeth are in the front and my palate is narrow (as is the floor). How does the back molar come into play in this scenario?
Can someone shed some light on this subject? Should I get a second opinion?
PS- The dentist has also mentioned that appliances shift bone not teeth. I found this interesting. Can someone expand on the statement.
TIA for the help

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I agree with your dentist. It is inconvenient to have a temp crown but you will have the best outcome after the Invisalign treatment.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The temporary crown will need a permanent cement to last that long. It will hold the temp crown better and only require a bit of inconvenience to remove after the Invisalign is complete.

Vote:

Ask a Question