Whitening toothpastes

Solutions
Do whitening toothpastes work ? They advertise whiter teeth within days . I have been using it for months and notice no difference. The tooth, beside the porcelin crown tooth, does not get as white as that one. Why are they allowed to advertise whiter teeth if it stays the same ?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Waste of money. Thy can get away with it because the toothpastes will generally remove some superficial stains, but then most toothpastes can do that too. They have no bleaching ingredients. Good old marketing ploy, just like every year there's a new toothpaste, a new toothbrush style, ...

Vote:
Solutions
Waste of money. Thy can get away with it because the toothpastes will generally remove some superficial stains, but then most toothpastes can do that too. They have no bleaching ingredients. Good old marketing ploy, just like every year there's a new toothpaste, a new toothbrush style, ...

Just as I thought but why does it say on the box to not use it for more than one month ?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No idea. probably to make you think that it has some sort of efficacy that is dangerous if "overused". I've never seen anything in the literature that mentions that requirement. It's similar to a lot of alternative medicines where they tell you strict dosages, despite inactive ingredients - you're more likely to get a sugar hit than an overdose.

Vote:
Solutions
But at such low levels as to be useless. It's a marketing gimmick.

So now I am using a whitening gel that contains hydrogen peroxide. It seems to be doing a good job at cleaning the teeth and freshening the breath but at week two now I don't see any whitening. I am comparing it to its neighbor tooth that has a porcelain crown in my mouth. So tell me this, how do movie stars get such white teeth , is it Veneers ? Could the hydrogen peroxide level not be increased to be more effective ?

Vote:
Solutions
Do whitening toothpastes work ? They advertise whiter teeth within days . I have been using it for months and notice no difference. The tooth, beside the porcelin crown tooth, does not get as white as that one. Why are they allowed to advertise whiter teeth if it stays the same ?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after years of trying just about every whitening tooth paste in existence I found one that works. It's the Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous White toothpaste. I don't like promoting mega corporations like Crest... but in this case the stuff actually seems to work for me. And I drink a ton of coffee and it still works.

Vote:
I think along with a good toothbrush you would need a good floss as well. My gums had swollen up due to not flossing well enough and food remaining stuck even though I brushed my teeth twice everyday. I tried the Burst floss and it got rid of my coffee stains within two weeks.

Vote:
Whitening toothpastes are formulated to help remove surface stains on teeth and promote a brighter appearance. However, the effectiveness of these toothpastes can vary depending on the individual, the specific toothpaste brand, and the type of stains on your teeth.

Here are some important points to consider:

1. Surface Stains: Whitening toothpastes primarily target surface stains caused by factors like consuming dark-colored foods and drinks, smoking, or poor oral hygiene. They may not be as effective for deeper, intrinsic stains that originate within the tooth structure.
  2. Expectations: The claims of "whiter teeth within days" made by some whitening toothpaste advertisements might be based on ideal scenarios and might not apply to everyone. The degree of whitening can vary from person to person.
  3. Porcelain Crowns: Porcelain crowns and natural teeth can respond differently to whitening toothpaste. Porcelain crowns are not porous like natural teeth, so they don't absorb stains in the same way. This can result in a difference in shade between your natural teeth and the porcelain crown.
  4. Professional Treatment: If you're looking for significant teeth whitening results, professional treatments like in-office whitening or at-home whitening kits prescribed by a dentist tend to be more effective. These treatments contain higher concentrations of active ingredients and are supervised by dental professionals.
  5. Oral Hygiene: While whitening toothpaste might not dramatically change the color of your teeth, it can still contribute to maintaining good oral hygiene. It's important for overall oral health and can help prevent new surface stains from forming.
  6. Regulations: Advertisements for oral care products are subject to regulations that require claims to be substantiated. However, individual experiences can vary, and some products might not deliver the same results for everyone.

Vote:
Some whitening toothpastes contains peroxide (the bleaching agent) which can help remove surface stains and slightly lighten teeth but may not be as effective as professional whitening treatments.

Vote:
Whitening toothpastes are formulated to help remove surface stains on teeth and promote a brighter appearance. However, the effectiveness of these toothpastes can vary depending on the individual, the specific toothpaste brand, and the type of stains on your teeth.

Here are some important points to consider:

1. Surface Stains: Whitening toothpastes primarily target surface stains caused by factors like consuming dark-colored foods and drinks, smoking, or poor oral hygiene. They may not be as effective for deeper, intrinsic stains that originate within the tooth structure.
  2. Expectations: The claims of "whiter teeth within days" made by some whitening toothpaste advertisements might be based on ideal scenarios and might not apply to everyone. The degree of whitening can vary from person to person.
  3. Porcelain Crowns: Porcelain crowns and natural teeth can respond differently to whitening toothpaste. Porcelain crowns are not porous like natural teeth, so they don't absorb stains in the same way. This can result in a difference in shade between your natural teeth and the porcelain crown.
  4. Professional Treatment: If you're looking for significant teeth whitening results, professional treatments like in-office whitening or at-home whitening kits prescribed by a dentist tend to be more effective. These treatments contain higher concentrations of active ingredients and are supervised by dental professionals.
  5. Oral Hygiene: While whitening toothpaste might not dramatically change the color of your teeth, it can still contribute to maintaining good oral hygiene. It's important for overall oral health and can help prevent new surface stains from forming.
  6. Regulations: Advertisements for oral care products are subject to regulations that require claims to be substantiated. However, individual experiences can vary, and some products might not deliver the same results for everyone.
Yes, agreed with your points.👍

Vote:

Ask a Question