Whitening Tetracycline Stained Teeth

Hello,

I received tetracycline during childhood; and this treatment stained my teeth a yellow-brown color. I am aware of three different therapies. One uses hydrogen-peroxide, another uses carbamide-peroxide, and the third uses hydrogen-peroxide with KTP laser @ 532 nm. I would like to know if I am a good candidate for whitening, which therapy will likely be the most successful, and what kinds of results I can expect. BTW, I also ordered a carbamide-peroxide self-whitening kit from Amazon. Can I expect any results from this; and how many treatments would be necessary to achieve a satisfactory result?

Thanks

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Tetracycline staining is internal due to altered mineral development. Of course there are many variations and severity with staining. If your staining is not as noticeable, external bleaching may help. Your teeth may experience sensitivity after bleaching. If you are applying bleaching agents at home, try to minimze irritation to your gums.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Tetracycline stains can be very difficult to shift with carbamide or hydrogen peroxide bleaching. My teeth are tetra-brown, and despite heavy and prolonged bleaching, it only made the slightest difference. I don't know how effective lasers are in this respect.

Vote:

Ask a Question